200mm L II f/2.8

anthony_chapa

I am going to purchase a 40d very very soon(this week :)) and I was curious if

this lens is sharp wide open. I would want the obvious 70-200IS for sports, but

I wont have the money at the moment cause buying the body will set me back a

few. I dont mind being without the zoom cause its not a necessity but im

curious on the image quality (ive used primes before on my 20d). I have heard

good things about this lens I am just wanting some feedback here and possibly

some samples or sports or portraits. Thanks!

Yes it is very sharp wide open and otherwise. Of course most lenses sharpen up as stopped down, faster lenses more so, but it will be sharper than the zoom, it handles the 1.4X and 2X very well although the AF slows down with TCs attached like all lenses. In fact it is so sharp that even with a 1.4X on it is close to the 300 f4L IS, no slouch itself in the sharpens shakes.

To put it in context it is not as sharp wide open as the 100mm f2.8 macro but then few lenses are.

You can see my own tests on this lens here http://www.zen20934.zen.co.uk/photography/LensTests/EF_200mm_f2.8L_USM_II_C/index.htm

And some web tests here

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/canon_200_28/index.htm

and

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=245&Camera=9&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=103&CameraComp=9&FLIComp=4&APIComp=0

Sharpest lens I've had wide open. Almost no difference between f/2.8 and f/5.6. Responds extremely well to a teleconverter, either Kenko Pro or Canon 1.4X. No degradation at any aperture. Quick AF, small size, more discrete than the white zooms. The security guards at most venues won't comment.

DI

I agree with the previous posters. I have the optically identical EF 200mm f/2.8 L <abbr title="Ultrasonic Motor">USM</abbr> Mk.1 and it is insanely sharp wide open. The <abbr title="autofocus">AF</abbr> is fast and accurate and if the light allows fast shutter speeds, I can effortlessly shoot candid portraits of moving pedestrian on the street. The lens is only minimally larger than the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L <abbr title="Ultrasonic Motor">USM</abbr> zoom, but has much farther reach and is indeed pretty inconspiciuous. Lacking <abbr title="Image Stabilization">IS</abbr>, keep an eye on the shutter speeds, but hand-holding is much easier than with the heavier and front-heavier zoom lenses.

I tested the hell out of the EF 200mm/2.8L by way of comparing it to the EF 70-200mm/4L (sturdy tripod, MLU, timer, etc...)

<p>

One disappointment was the purple fringing (or what ever the proper term for the purple edge-thing is) at @ f/2.8. When I enlarged images on the screen roughly to the equivalent of 8x12 I could spot the problem. I did not get any prints.

<p>

@ f/4 that problem disappears, and the lens was a bit sharper than the zoom. At f/8-11, you had to look at %100 resolution images to tell any difference.

<p>

Having f/2.8 at your disposal, and a black barrell? Priceless...well, almost.

<p>

I ended up getting neither, and got a used 300/4L IS instead. I am glad I did that, because, the new 70-200mm/4L IS lens is a better deal than both despite the price difference (higher ISO and software for noise reduction are O.K. by me).

"One disappointment was the purple fringing "

I have not found that, even wide open CA was less than 0.5 pixel on a 20D. Of course on full frame the will probably be a bit more but I would expect it to be well under a pixel and also would expect it to be better than any of the zooms.

Are you sure this was not sensor bloom rather than CA?