My Good Old Trusty M8!

Alex_Es

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Above is a photo I took yesterday at the tail end of the local autumn festival. I shot these

men carrying a Mikoshi (portable Shinto shrine) with my M8 + Voigtlander 25/4P at ISO

320. It seems to me that the M8 was the perfect camera for the moment. It was quiet, it

was unobtrusive, and, man, was it fast in catching the decisive moment. A big and noisy

DSLR might have disturbed the atmosphere.

I walked quickly ahead of the Mikoshi, stopped, let it move into the 24mm frame lines,

and shot. I think the above is the best of the lot.

The man with the dubious look on his face smiled at me in another frame.

And check out all that black. No magenta where it shouldn?t be.

A simple check of histogram and RGB eye dropper - will tell you that there are no blacks in this shot Alex. I can also see a purple caste on my calibrated monitor in the man's ceremonial jacket - who is making eye contact with you. One of the hardest things to get in a digi shot is black.<p> I am surprised that you are buying into the BS regarding slr vs rangefinder for making so called decisive moment shots ( like this?) hmmm.. <p> Still I am glad to hear that you are happy - use it in good health and show more pics!

<i>A big and noisy DSLR might have disturbed the atmosphere. . . .

I walked quickly ahead of the Mikoshi, stopped, let it move into the 24mm frame lines, and shot. </i><P>

If a guy walking along side, stopping, raising his camera up, focusing, and shooting didn't disturb the atmosphere, it's unlikely a little mirror slap would have.

Alex; this is the Leica and Rangefinders Forum. Which means that you can never mention the reasons you and so many others have bought and used Leicas and Rangefinders in the text to any of your posts. Articles in the New Yorker, interviews with Nan Goldin or Ralph Gibson-that's OK, but not in the Leica and Rangefinders Forum. Your M8 may be trusty, but your perceptions are not.

BTW what purple cast there is in this can be changed via "image >adjustments >auto color" if you have it in PS. I just tried it. When that works, it works very well. I think you have a good shot, but I wish there were more of a sense of the back and shoulder strain that some of these guys are enduring.

<i>..but I wish there were more of a sense of the back and shoulder strain that some of these guys are enduring.</i>

<p>

That would make it a fake. Jack, I think this one (chariot or the whatever it is) is on wheels. The picture does not show anyone carrying it. Look again.

<p>

The blacks are suggestive in this image. The true color is a maroon here and not black. Alex, Use an IR cut filter on the lens. Get it coaded (marker pen). No two ways about it.

<p>

This sort of (IR sensitivity/color balance) problems are encountered when using Nikon dSLRs (old "pro' cams, like D1 and the like and until recently the D70/s and such), Epson R-D1s, Olympus cams, etc.

Thanks everyone for the comments, observations and advice. You are right, Brad, that is

better, though I'd have made it a touch darker. How did you do it? Light and Shadow in

Photoshop perhaps?

I'm now working on an article on M8 & the 25/4P. I was considering including this shot

with the article but I might not.

Actually I don't care about the DSLR vs M8 debate. (Am in fact considering a Nikon D300

one of these years.) I just thought that if I was a bit provocative for once I'd conjure up a

varied response. Again, thanks.

Life so short, the craft so long to learn.

Did Brad post a corrected image? If so I'm not seeing anything.

The 5D I got this week has a nice soft sounding shutter. The thing that makes DSLR's

somewhat awkward is the tendency to put zooms on them. With a compact non-L 35mm

prime, the Canon is as agile as a Leica, and with the viewfinder, manual focusing is faster.

Ray click on the word "this" in Brad's post for the corrected image.

The "silent rangefinder" myth once again? Leica's aren't silent, for one. 2ndly I shoot with both M's and a D200, never had anyone disturbed from the mirror slap. Now the FE2 with a motor, that's a different tale!

The 5D? I was walking around with some character that was shooting one of those beasts just yesterday, and I couldn't hear a thing. Alex, why engender remarks by parsing out old cannards about non-existent equipment issues.

Now that's funny, Superbrad plays IR-filter and all we get are bluish trousers that used to

be white (I'm on a non-calibrated monitor). Brad, after years in digital, hasn't anybody told

you that one gets good blacks only by applying whatever corrections to the blacks alone?

Besides, who in the 3rd millennium still considers pitch black areas in a picture an

aesthetic must? Alex' original version is far from perfect - yours isn't better (IMHO, of

course). Save bandwidth!

Barry, I know the MD-12. A real head-turner! Do you know whether the F2/MD-2 is

louder?

What is important in my view is to feel at ease with one's camera, be it noisy or silent, unobtrusive or not, big or small, film or digital, plastic or metal... And all this is very personal.

If you feel comfortable with your camera you'll get a chance to make better photos. If you appreciate the process of taking a picture in itself because you like using your camera, you'll be better at taking photos.

Alex, you're a gentleman and a scholar. Your reaction to comments/criticism shows that you regard this as a journey. Well said.<p>

Barry wrote:<p>

<< ... <i>The 5D? I was walking around with some character that was shooting one of those beasts just yesterday, and I couldn't hear a thing.</i> ... >><P>

Gotta turn down the ipod, pal. Either that or too many rock concerts in your (our) youth. :-)

Thanks Michael. Probably, as Ray says, a DSLR like the Canon would have been as

unobtrusive without a big old zoom.

For the record, the mikoshi is carried. It isn't motorized. What is helping those guys in

the picture is that it is also being pulled by a lot of people. Amazingly, with all those

people, carrying the Mikoshi isn't as strenuous as might first appear, I did it once many

years ago.

I had a second camera with me, an M2 with a pre-Asph. 35/1.4. I got the roll to King

Camera in my neighborhood and got the negs. in about an hour. Scanned them that

night.

Again thanks for the commets.