quality, best bang for your buck, photo editting software? Everyone knows

what Photoshop is it's name gets thrown around like Kleenex and Zerox but it

is just a brand name or is it "the" software to have? I don't really have any

image software and it would be fun to experiment with some really good

software. I would like to be able to save my original photos but then also be

able to have something that I can manipulate them with for fun. Adding stuff

into the photos, changing colors, contrast, lighting, and what ever else that

may be available in the software. I don't really know much about photoshop

but it seems like there are different packages and uses for each package?

Well any advice on what you think I should start out with would be

appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry, Travis. Question has no answer. Depends on too many other questions. What do you mean by "best"? How much is a buck worth to you?

I could give you one answer: The best software for the buck is the software that came with your camera. After all, you probably feel like you got it for free. (You didn't, of course, but I hope you know what I mean.)

But beyond that, it's impossible to say. There are lots of programs out there. I have not used IrFanView, but I'm told it's good, and it's free. Google's Picasa is also free, and while its editing capabilities are pretty limited, they're very good for what they do; and as a file manager, it's excellent. If you want a lot of Photoshop's pixel-editing power for nothing, you could always try The Gimp.

Apple iPhoto remains a very good consumer product and not too expensive. Bibble Pro isn't as pretty as iPhoto, but it's very powerful, and while it's not free, either, I think it doesn't cost much more than iPhoto and it's certainly not nearly as expensive as Photoshop or even Aperture or Lightroom or LightZone. Can't remember what SilkyPix costs. I think RawShooter Essentials may still have a free download available. (The company was bought by Adobe and some of its features were rolled into Lightroom, but I am pretty sure I was told just recently that the old free version is still available.) Lightcraft's LightZone has a reduced-price version that's $200 or less, I think. You could also by Adobe Photoshop Elements, which I think is now up to version 6, and which costs not much over $100.

Apple Aperture and Adobe Lightroom both cost about $300 -- but both are also really good programs. At some point, you will also have to ask yourself what your time is worth. I think Lightroom is worth the $300.

But I'm not recommending ANY of these packages, because there's a lot of personal "taste" involved. Go to the web sites, read the info, download demos of the programs that look most promising and try 'em out for yourself. Good luck.

P.S. I use Lightroom for heavy lifting (most of my post-processing work), Picasa for managing exported jpegs (all duplicates) and for very light-duty editing of test photos that don't matter to me. I have Photoshop Elements but I seldom use it. And I keep flirting with the idea of adding Lightcrafts' idiosyncratic but brilliant LightZone to my arsenal, and when I do, I'll probably stop thinking about Photoshop at all.

Travis, I am sure you will get lots of opinions on this. Here's mine....

As a 'fun' software, CS3 is pretty expensive but you sure get a lot of tools to play with. On a more modest scale, PS Elements is pretty good bang for the buck. You give up a few toys, most noticeably curves, but you get a lot, too, especially for the modest price.

One nice thing about PSE, you can upgrade to CS later if you outgrow the first one, and everything carries over. IMO, PSE is a great starter program but even this 'simplified' version can take a while to learn.

http://www.adobe.com/

And for a free intro video for the new 6.0 version of PSE....

http://www.photoshopelementsuser.com/

The above responses have some very good suggestions.

PS is a very powerful piece of software; however, only about 20% really is valuable to most photographers. It is hard to say what you need and what you want.

You might consider starting with some basic free pieces of software available and as you out grow them start exploring more powerful programs.

Some programs have trial periods that can be downloaded that will give you the opportunity to explore the functions and get a feel for the available options.

Thanks for some opinions. Like I said I really don't know much about what is available out there. I tried that Picasa and didn't think much of it. Can't do much with it but then again it was free. I tend to believe you get what you pay for. I have been curious about PS Elements but I will definitely check into the list of things that you briefly mentioned above. Thanks again and I look forward to seeing some more opinions on this : ) I wish I could be more specific about the use or tools I am looking for but to be honest I really don't know what I'm looking for. Something that has a lot of features and I can really get creative not just adjust contrast and brightness like it's a TV or computer monitor if you know what I mean. Well thanks again. Feel free to voice your opinion on the software that you like to use!

For me, Paintshop Pro is brilliant value. It costs a fraction of Photoshop but it does most of what what the more ezpensive programme does. Equally importantly, it works in a similar way, so if you see an article explaining techniques in Photoshop, you can generally do the same thing in Paintshop. The menus will have different names, but the principles are the same. For me, Photoshop is waaaay overated.

I think there is a free trialversion of Paintshop, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

regards

Alan

alan mentioned Paint Shop Pro. You can download a demo at corel.com. It really is a very good program. Corel's Photo-paint is a very good program too, but you can't buy it without buying CorelDraw too, which is a very good illustration program, but you can get a demo of that too. I started with those, but now my flow is CS3/Lightroom. Also, Ulead has PhotoImpact, which I think has a demo too and does pretty much all of what PS does.

PaintShopPro is a lot easier to use than Photoshop, has a better

user interface, and offers more convenient color correction dialogs.

If you can live without full support for 16-bit color, CMYK, LAB,

and so forth, I recommend it. Also if you work in JPEG not RAW,

you can duplicate camera settings with PSP but not with Photoshop.