"Tipping In"

grain

(Didn't now where to place this in the forum structure)

RE: Film and Paper, not Digital-

I'm unhappy with the quality of print methods available to photographers who are looking to publish. The

final print doesn't really translate. I was looking at some great books in a private collection a few weeks

back, and they were all first generation FB prints, tipped in as it were, or pasted into the page with an

onion skin overleaf to protect it from the acid of the previous page.

Any publisher/bookhouse savvy folks out there know of a bindery that would still indulge this kind of

thing? (Ya, I know it's expensive, I'm thinking [dreaming] short run to finance a longer run.)

Thanks.

In essence, what you are looking for is a source to bind a "scrapbook" of original prints, a

collection of prints mounted loosely on acid free, archival paper.

The cost is pretty steep, as these are mostly "one of a kind" creations. I don't know of any

printer such as RR Donnely, as mentioned above, that is in this line of book printing or

manufacturing. I've put together various prototypes for clients that could fall into this

category. That is where I get the cost is pretty steep idea, as some of these books we put

together run into the tens of thousands of $ to produce (just one book!)

I would suppose if you are in a metropolitan area, you could find a bookbinder who might

be able to assist you or point you in the right direction.

A couple of years ago, I was given a self-published book of images from a photographer

in Colorado that was pretty incredible. The quality and colors were very good. He output

all of his work in his studio on an Epson printer. But these were images printed on the

page, then bound. Not prints affixed to a page, as you stated.

If you're strictly looking for a bindery, try Pittsburgh Binding in Pittsburgh, PA. Ask for Rich Mirarchi. (Sorry, don't have my businesss cards with me for the phone number). I believe they have a website. They've got pretty much unlimited options and work on both small, short run stuff as well as large volume bindery work. Most of the big print shops in Pittsburgh that don't have inhouse binding (perfect binding, smyth-sewn books, wire-0 etc.) use these folks. They do a lot of custom work and might be able to help you out with a suitable binding option for your project.

Tipping-in is an established feature in case-bound and perfect-bound books, but it is a manual job so is inevitably expensive. However, its use in practice is restricted to a few tip-ins per volume because it physically disrupts the binding. If you are talking about a book made up entirely, or mainly, of these prints you should be looking at some kind of integrated binding, not tip-ins.

• 5 months later...