Speellling Erroz

JDMvW

I know, I know. You flirt with me all the time with that one. But then I look it up and I get fox fire. I get caught up in some cooking stuff and get so hungry and THEN want to go clean my kitchen (NOT) that I get sidetracked. LOL

It is the dyslexic part of me. Besides, if I started spelling correctly right now how would the people in AGGIE land get to make jokes about me and my University of Texas Education.

They will wonder what happened to me.

I will look into Firefox tomorrow just for you Josh.

Do good work tonight. Keep out the bad guys. ~ micki

I can spell perfectly well, but notice that the odd error creeps in that I don't realise until I hit the confirm button. And with no facility to edit my own posts I can't do anything about it. I also refuse to have a computer check spellings for me - I find it annoying when software has some built-in checker that assumes that "English" is American English, and there is no option for proper English. We all know Americans can't spell properly and it infuriates me when words like "colour" and "aluminium" and "hypothesise" get highlighted as being incorrectly spelled.

Besides, why do people get so pedantic about the odd spelling mistake? 99.9% of the time it doesn't make any difference to the meaning of the word or the message the writer is trying to get across. And simple mistakes don't make any difference to the ease with which the words can be read.

Also, a spell checker is an absolute nightmare for people with dyslexia. It does very little to help them spell better, but does a lot to knock their confidence and to inhibit their flow of writing.

Those aren't spelling errors--the post was written in Farsi! (Firefox seems to disagree with Wikipedia about the spelling of Farsi--and Wikipedia!)

Keep in mind that one of the delightful things about this site is that it's an international community. My (American) English spell checker isn't any help if I tried to post in Romanian and, presumably, the reverse is true.

"We all know Americans can't spell properly..."

Wasn't it G.B. Shaw who observed that the English and Americans are two peoples separated by a common language?

The occasional typo and misspelling here doesn't bother me. It does bother me when they show up in newspapers, magazines, TV news captions, and other places where there are supposed to be some editing skills working.

What really annoys me here is the occasional post in that bastardized English they use for sending cell phone text messages. Don't get me wrong - it has it's place. But not here, or any other medium outside of that limited arena. IMHO. TTFN. :-)

"bastardized English" - you mean "bastardised English"

Only kidding M8 LOL. Tnx 4 reminding my of G.B. Shaw. I think is woz him who sd that init.

That bastardised English is actually used by me and all the other radio hams when using Morse - as you say, it has it's place. I heard a while ago that some would also be acceptable in school exams - not heard anythin since though.

William, ROTFLMAO, HA!

We live in a BLOG society. Life it up! HA! I haven't put my nose into a research paper or a Thesis in oh, hmmm. Let me think about that, still thinking, 20 years. YES, I am 40 and I don't think I am going to change my ways and if I happen to have teenagers and have a myspace (yep) and I blog (yep) and I used these expressions begause I want to blow kisses to you (muah) because I can't cuddle up to you and give you hugs and show affection to you in any other way then that is what I am going to do.

This here on PN is a forum (tit for tat, BB, conversation place). YES, OMG I said it. Shhh don't tell anyone as those that are not enlightened my shtiz their pants. EEEK

(giggle)

This is made for us to talk with each other and get our personalities across. I also try not to do it with a lexile number of 1400. Talking at the level of someone that might be reading the forum of a high school level. You know there are people out there that are HIGH SCHOOLER'S that read this forum? Hmmm, YEP, my daughter even reads some of this stuff. She's fourteen and is a photographer and is the radical about learning more. Of course, honestly her grammar is much better than mine but she can out text me.

So, William, I agree that abbreviation for the sake of just doing it for ignorance is one thing but I do use expressions to show how I'm feeling. If I'm laughing (LOL). If I do want to say IN MY HUMBLE OPINION yep, I'll use it (IMHO) it sure is easier than saying IMHO. And no I don't use TTFN. But if I did want to blow Pete and his family kisses. I sure might give them,

xoxox and a big kiss!

muah!

If we want to younger generation taking pictures we have to go with it. They are here to stay. ;) ~ oh yes! The smiley face! Can't help them! They are me!

HUGS!

On a good day I understand maybe 80 % of what you type which is enough to understand what your are trying to say, at least in broad strokes. For a dinosaur such as myself who does not blog or text message a lot of your long strings of capital letter are ... well just long strings of capital letters. Not that I would ever want you or anyone else to change what you're doing. Besides it can be fun trying to guess what all these abbreviation stand for, for years I thought LOL stood for lots of luck.

Gordon, I totally accept what you are trying to tell me as I myself am totally clueless when I read the long winded writings in the forums sometimes. I myself have to put on my more educated self when I walk into the forums. I have to stand up, turn myself about, sit down and then start to write. I sometimes forget and then go back to my blog style of writing. But, to my defense you would not believe how many people e-mail me to NOT stop and to keep writing in the forums.

They don't want me to feel offended. I then proceed to tell them I am educated but I have been writing this way for so long, yet I CAN write in other ways (blah), I am just not a writer, even tho I can write music (wink). I also am dyslexic and am not a good speller and do not plan on being one. I also type 120 words a minute and have had a brain problem (I have seizures) so everything is scrambled and I just don't feel like getting it unscrambled. So, this is me conversational writing at its worse. My husband, the linguist and writer hates it but he doesn't have near the gift I have artistically or the perception to figure out a picture (street) from a sociological standpoint or discern pictures like I do (you may now go to his portfolio and tattle on me). These are the things I have, discernment and love for the arts and photography and music. What I don't have is spelling and grammar (yuck). I have been published in poetry but that doesn't count. I would rather have them then the gift to write well.

Thanks a million for that list, now I should be able to understand that 20% I had found confusing. Micki , I love reading your posts you are one of the deeper thinker on the forums, please tell me I have not caused you to be offended because that was never my intention.I never have trouble understanding your thoughts or your spelling for that matter, and neither my own thoughts or spelling are particularly clear. I have no formal post secondary school education so you're way ahead of my in that regard. The only thing that looses me is when you and others here start in with the big strings of capital letters. I have saved the lists you posted and I thank you for being so kind as to take the time to post them for me.

That's much better. Thanks for your help and patience, I got almost all the way there but was not clever enough to make it to the end without a little boost. I now have British and Canadian to switch between , I'm curious if the difference is merely colloquialisms like bloke or actual differences in spelling. As a Canadian I have known since childhood that Americans spell many words differently but I alway though the Brits and us used the same spelling. If I had been bored when JDM started this thread I would not be now. I have three, including Micki's, new dictionaries to play with.