Alex Majoli's camera???

aaron_snell

Did you do an internet search to try and find your own answer? Give it a try, all the info you want is right there. Took about 30 seconds. In fact it would probably have taken you less time than to post your question in the first place.

<< ... Why is this question being asked? ... <p>

My guess: The poster was curious about the camera Majoli uses. :-) <p>

While I don't recognize all the cameras people use, here's <a href=http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-6468-7844> one article about Majoli's gear</a> that may be of interest.

That would've been my guess too, Del.<p>

And the Hexar AF is a camera that quite a few people on this Forum, currently and previously, have owned and/or used. (I've seen it, but never tried it.)<p>

Quite apart from the cameras he's used, Majoli has <a href=http://www.magnumphotos.com/Archive/C.aspx?VP=XSpecific_MAG.PhotographerDetail_VPage&pid=2K7O3R13S3S3&nm=Alex%20Majoli>many photos worth seeing</a>.

Yes i've seen the articles on Majoli using the olympus C5050 but i didn't think that camera looked anything like it thats why i posted the picture and the question. No reason to make snarky comments. I think a better question to ask yourself is "why am i making a rude comment over the interent? Does it make me feel superior, because you're well beyond asking what kind of camera your one of your favorite photographers uses?"

I'd say my favorite work he's done was on the marathon or the book leros is great as well.

I was unfamiliar with the book "Leros." Very heavy. <p>

Thanks, Aaron.<p>

[For future reference, by the way, for photos other than your own you should post a link, rather than the photo itself, per photo.net <a href=http://www.photo.net/info/terms-of-use>Terms of Use</a>.]

Eugene Scherba wrote: "Why is this question being asked?"

I'm sorry, but this response is full of elitist crap. As much as we all want to pretend that the camera is just a tool, and blah blah blah, I often wonder why it bothers some people when others ask about what camera is being used or is used by a specific photographer.

Don't we all actually care about equipment to some degree - granted some care more than others, but if the OP wants to know what camera is being used, why is this not okay?

<p><i>I often wonder why it bothers some people when others ask about what camera is

being used.</i></p>

<p>I am not against discussing technical aspects of photography at all. It is a perfectly

reasonable question to ask when the camera plays a major role in the output, such as

when the photographs in question are 10x20 feet in size or when they otherwise look

strange. In Alex Majoli's case neither of the above is true.</p>

<p>There is a wide misconception on these forums that the choice of this or that small-

format camera is relevant and very important. You will find endless discussions of

rangefinder vs SLR, digital vs film, this brand vs that brand. What you will not find here is

any sensible discussion of photography as art, photography as design element, or

photography as documentation, for example.</p>

<i>What you will not find here is any sensible discussion of photography as art, photography as design element, or photography as documentation, for example.</i><p>We do have them sometimes, but there are far more camera owners here than photographers. It's interesting how little I talk about equipment with any photographers I know, and when it's about equipment, it's about an immediate need or a failure or something really new and different. It's just the online world that goes that way..

There all alot of different levels of skill in photography. A novice

( and I am not saying the OP is a novice)might ask questions that a skilled pro like Jeff might not ask. However, there is no reason to repond to a post unless the answer is intended to be helpful.There is no reason to be demeaning on this forum. If you don't like the question, DON'T answer it!

• 1 year later...
<p>I think the type of camera uses for his type of photography is very relevant. The point and shoots he uses have an almost unlimited DOF when shot at Fstops numerically above 5.6 or so with the lens at wide, as compared to DSLR's. I don't think the brand matters too much, although the 5050 had one of the fasted lenses of near any P&S. The 8080 which he used later isn't far off, with a 2.4 lens, and the resolution of the lens on the 8080 is very high, some tests regard it as higher than a comparable Zuiko SLR lens, which are very sharp lenses. His technique is very interesting...and since reading of it, I myself have started using pre set manual focus on my point and shoots, it sure does help with lag...especially with flash photography. Majoli does seem to really know what he is doing and why, so I think it's a very good question.</p>