How do you overcome photographer's block?

summitar

I am purely amateur and I take cameras to photo-suitable events (ballgames,

graduations, picnics, etc.) and when I travel, of course. But when you have

spare time, and no particular agenda, what motivates you to load up the cameras

and go out looking for something to shoot? What kind of environments do you seek

out?

It's like writer's block. The best advice I got on the latter was to lower my standards. I

believe this holds for photography and any other art.

I know the feeling. Went out today with the intention of finishing two rolls of film. The only

interesting thing I came across was someone who wanted to run me over. Think I'll follow

that advice when I go out again.

Following up on what Alex said -- "It's like writer's block." -- you might try what some writer's do when blocked: imitate someone else's style. Your pictures will never look exactly like the other guy's, but your attempt to make pictures like his may result in something that is altogether new.

I also like Peter's idea of using a different lens. When I find myself going stale, I switch to a different focal length. Doing so seems to change everything. And I've learned not to worry that I have the "wrong" lens with me. It's just a lens that gives me different pictures than I would otherwise have taken.

A third idea: I always seem to take my best shots of a given subject that first time I see it. So, get out of the neighborhood. Walk, bike, drive or ride a half-hour away from home and just start looking. It's things you haven't seen before that are most likely to catch your attention.

Well I don't know anything about the lika experience but I am taking it seriously. I am a brand new amateur so I guess it dosent take much for me to get moivated to shoot anything and everything, it's still all new and exciting. One thing I have noticed about myself is I keep looking at photos on here and it gets my mind flowing. I find something interesting and want to shoot something like it. It just brews in the back of my mind until the opportunity or the time comes. I think the important thing is to not let it make you doubt yourself and just keep shooting.

<p>I'm interested that you say you take cameras to 'photo suitable events'. This might be

one aspect of the block you're feeling, as you've already pre-categorised life into those

things worth photographing, and those things that are not. And (IMO, at least), ball

games, graduations and picnics are likely to result in a certain genre of picture where it

can be difficult to elevate one's approach from cliché or record shots.</p>

<p>As a suggestion, why not take your camera with you everywhere? That's certainly what

I do with mine, and in over a year I've never left home without it. And, by doing so, have

found pictures in the most unexpected places. Every picture in my personal portfolio was

made in this way. For me, at least, it's been such a stimulating way of approaching

photography that I now feel undressed if I don't have my camera with me.</p>

As the years progressed, and as a full-time maker of images, this problem was replaced long ago with dealing with the opposite: ie. Which of these millions of things to do should I embark upon first? For me it's all about shuffling priorities, and finding time to do everything well enough to meet my own aspired standards.

For camera work, if the light and weather conditions don't present as preferred, or if I can't get to the person I wish to make a portrait of, there's always a painting to photograph, several to complete, and even more to start. I wish I had someone on-hand to document the etching and engraving process for the book I'm writing, so that I didn't get side-tracked from the actual plate-work by setting up camera gear, (but then I really enjoy setting up the gear myself and planning the shots) ... besides, I can't afford to pay anyone, not for this project atleast. Then there are images for the websites .. ad infinitum. (and the websites themselves, needing complete overhaul)

The painting studio, etching workshop, and darkroom are all jealous of each other, and fight for my attention. It's a problem, because I luv'm all. ( ... and I've only just recently discovered the magic of PMK Pyro )

Cheers, Kevin.

I visit art museums, galleries, and photography exhibits. I take a class in life drawing, painting, sculpture, or something creative in a different manner than photography. Anything to get the juices flowing. If that doesn't work I use my time to do the boring or tedious jobs I've been meaning to do: clean the darkroom, film testing, defrag the hard drive, sort negs or files, lens tests, lighting exercises, etc... Eventually the inspiration will return.

A couple of colleagues at work are also into photography. We've joined and set up a competition. Every monday we agree on a theme to shoot. Two mondays hence, we submit our best shots on the theme "blind" to another colleague who acts as judge. We generate a new theme each week on a rolling basis. I find that participating in themes that one does not normally shoot can be challenging and refreshing.

In the same vein as many of these posts, give yourself photo assignments. You're the editor

at a big photo magazine (well, we can pretend they still exist). Pick a topic, concept or

subject and assign yourself to get the image, no matter what. I'm a PJ, and that's the

challenge we have every day. And I'm not about to go back to the photo editor and tell him I

just couldn't find anything to shoot! :)

It seems to me it is easier when you figure out what is you want to say with your

photography, and then formulate a project on this basis. Having such a project makes it

much easier to create pictures. But eventaully you will need to start the process over and

thnk of a new concept for a new projct that interests and satisfies you.

I've been working for one one project for a couple of years for which I got a fillip when I

changed some 14 months ago from shooting with an M6 to shooting with a Ricoh GR-D.

This stimulated me to a "looser", more fluid shooting style, which was good for the street

photography that I was doing. But, to be truthfl, when I'm not shooting for this project it is

not that easy for formulate the concept for the next one -- and simply shooting passersby

for meaninless street photography wears a bit thin.

--Mitch/Huahin

I've run into that when I've gotten back from big trips - I still want to shoot, but Pittsburgh just never seems as interesting as the Pacific Northwest, China, etc. Sometimes I simply wouldn't pick up the cameras for weeks after I got back. What I ended up doing was something already mentioned above - I researched to find something interesting around here and kind of "assigned" myself to it. In my case it is Western Pennsylvania "Natural Areas". Now I have a portfolio filled with images of places I never knew existed 2 years ago, and a list of places I still need to shoot.

Push on it. Just keep on shooting. Forget what you "ought" to be doing and snap away. Look

carefully at what you have taken every day and think about it. Try to see something new.

Read a good book. Look at some great photos and enjoy them. Think. See. Take more

pictures.

The key to not doing is doing. ;-)

Godfrey

because if you are into the Leica experience, you tend to take photography seriously.

Let's nail this statement first. Repeat after me 1,000 times "you do not need a Leica to take photography seriously". Indeed,any gear fetish is unhealthy,it takes you for a long walk far,far,away from photography.

The answer to your question is to keep taking photos,of anything,and everything. Try to look with a childs eyes.....the world is shiny and new,everything is interesting,and needs exployering.

Wipe your mind clean,start again.

Thanks for the advice. I will try to act on it, although we are beginning the dark half of the year here in the Seattle area. BTW, this is a photogenic area, but over the years, one gets a "been there, done that" ennui. On my two trips to beautiful Spain, a few years ago, everything seemed to be photo-worthy.

By the way, Allan H, I believe you made an error in logic (no offense). It is very true that "you don't need a leica to be a serious photographer" but that does not negate "most leica owners tend to take photography seriously." Just think of a Venn diagram with two overlapping circles in which one circle contains "serious" photographers" and the circle "leica owners." The leica circle would fall, IMHO, mostly within the other circle. That is not say that other brands, such as Hasselblad may do even better. You can tell I am not a hassy owner; I don't even know how to spell it.

Well, I think the main point about a "serious photographic experience", is to understand, that photography is mainly not about dull shots of interesting subjects (this is what you describe as "photo-suitable-events"), but rather about interesting shots of ordinary - not necesarily dull - subjects, just take a look at these:

A fork

http://images.google.it/imgres?imgurl=http://images.easyart.com/i/prints/rw/lg/1/3/Andre-Kertesz-La-fourchette--1928-133644.jpg&imgrefurl=http://es.easyart.com/estampas/Andre-Kertesz-La-fourchette,-1928-133644.html&h=285&w=400&sz=13&hl=it&start=31&tbnid=fD7PEhEBJ5OGvM:&tbnh=88&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dandre%2Bkertesz%26start%3D20%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Dit%26sa%3DN

A pipe and glasses

http://images.google.it/imgres?imgurl=http://escueladeescritura.com/AndreKertesz.jpg&imgrefurl=http://escueladeescritura.com/fantastica/propuesta1.htm&h=404&w=504&sz=76&hl=it&start=97&tbnid=0Um4lNwy7ONaDM:&tbnh=104&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dandre%2Bkertesz%26start%3D80%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Dit%26sa%3DN

Obviously, interesting subject, important context, unusual lighting or perspective all can contribute to make a great photo, but the only essential element is what YOU see.

I took up making photos after 30 years of "absence", because I felt the quality of inkjet printing has become good enough to enjoy the whole photographic process again without the need for a darkroom. I have a camera with me every day when I get out from home, and try to make pictures of things that strike me, but also I try to assign myself some themes, and work on these over time. This is an example of a shot that "happened" to me when driving to the office:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=1217248456&context=set-72157601175708450&size=l

and this one "happened" on the way back home:

ASPETTANDO IL VERDE

This is a set of shots made mostly during my lunch time interval:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59177039@N00/sets/72157600129466148/

and here's a small subset of photos taken while I take my daily coffee:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59177039@N00/sets/72157601490684129/

If you feel the pinch to photograph, just grab the camera in the morning and start looking around... something surely will happen.

By the way, Allan H, I believe you made an error in logic (no offense

I not the sort of person who takes offence at some words on the internet. So,no probs, fell free to express yourself.

I did not make an error in logic,just followed your logic to it's conclusion. As further explained by yourself. Following your logic,most serious photographers would be using high end Nikon/Canons...those are the cams most pros use.

Just think of a Venn diagram with two overlapping circles in which one circle contains "serious" photographers" and the circle "leica owners."

Using your Venn diagram i cannot help thinking that Leica would fall outside the "serious photographers" circle. Most err photographers buy the cams for the designer label,as Leica are well aware! Hence, the massive price difference between the Leica/Panasonic brand cams, of which both are essentially the same.

Don't get me wrong,i'm a Leica user,but it does not mean i have to have distorted version of reality.