Leica projector

What information (positive or negative) can anyone give me about a Leica

Pradovit Color 250-PRO 35mm slide projector? How would such an item compare to

the Kodak models, such as the Ektagraphics or Carousels? Just wondering.

Like any Leica vs Kodak comparison, the Leica will cost a lot more money, require its own set of expensive accessories, and you'll be able to find purists who can tell you what wonderful benefits you will receive.

Personally, I'm going with the Kodak Ektagraphic AMT III. I have two now and am shopping for at least one more. I have a dozen spare bulbs and at least twenty carousels. I also have a range of extraordinary glass from Buhl and Navitar, and three Buhl lens supports that keep things from getting out of line when you have a monster like my Buhl 9-inch/f2.8 mounted.

Note that the Ektagraphic III was the end of the line for Kodak slide projectors. I don't recall what the M stands for, but the T is for the timer that lets you automatically go through a tray without interruption (artshow jurors use this) and A is auto focus, which you can turn off if you need to. Shopping on eBay, you won't save much money by looking for an older model or one with fewer features, and the top-of-the-line model is more likely to come with a better lens or maybe a Navitar "Bright Light Module" installed.

If you're supporting others, you can bet that when that speaker flies in to talk to the garden club that she'll be bringing Kodak 80-slide carousels to illustrate her speech. Most other brands, and it appears this is the case for Leica and definitely is the case for the Color 250-PRO, will require taking the slides out of the carousel and putting them into the trays for the other brand. One hopes that you're the one picking the speaker up at the airport so you can have the trays with you and explain to her how to transfer the slides during the ride back to the venue! (You didn't think she'd fly in the day before and have time to get things arranged, did you?)

There's a lot of excellent glass out there with the standard barrel with focusing rack that all the Carousel and Ektagraphic projectors use. Since slides are deader than film in general, you can get these for pennies on the dollar.

There seem to be two of the exact projector you're asking about on eBay right now, with opening bid/Buy it Now prices of $448/478 and $378/398. You could buy all seven of the Ektagraphic III AMTs currently up for bid, which includes some really nice lenses, for less than one of the Leicas.

In other words, if you don't have a specific reason to go with the Leica I think you'd be nuts. If someone has just given you some exotic multi-projectof control system that's worth ten grand, and only works with this projector family, you'd be nuts not to.

Van

Personally, I agree, on the whole, with the previous poster. I have a Leitz Pradolux RT-300 (the only one ever built that accepted Carousel trays) and two Kodak Ektagraphics. The Leitz may be marginally better in some respects, but the Ektagraphics are about as good, plus you can pick up a used model on eBay or in a store that handled used products at an attractive price point. Just be certain to get a good lens, which is the single most important part of good projection. I can highly recommend the Ektapro Select 93mm f/2.5, which is what I use on my Ektagraphics. It may still be available new.

I have the Kodak Ektagraphic IIIA with Apollo, Buhl, Navitar, and Schneider projection lenses. I also have the Leica Pradovit CA2500 with the 90mm f/2.5 Super Colorplan. I did juice up the Pradovit with the multicoated condensers of the "Bright Light kit".<p>With all respect to Mr. Van Horn, the Leica produces a visibly superior image. The evenness of illumination is superior, and the brightness and color are better. The Kodak light can seem a bit too warm in comparison. The Kodak AF seems to be somewhat limited, and manual adjustments have to be made at times if the slide pops out of its range of adjustment. The Leica AF is rapid and positive. Speaking of slide popping, the Leica's cooling system is far superior. Slides take a couple of minutes of projection before they pop in the Leica. Slides pop in a few seconds in the Kodak.<p>The speed of the slide exchange with the Leica is also far faster than the Kodak. Finally, the Leica Super Colorplan (even the regular Colorplan) blows away all of the other projector lenses for sharpness and contrast. When projecting up on a big wall, the difference in detail is noticable.<p>In terms of price, if you pick up the Leitz projector you'll feel it. It's small in size, but heavy at about 20 lbs. The Leitz chassis is cast aluminum alloy. The optical axis of the Leitz is held very firmly in alignment. The Kodak feels a lot flimsier in comparison. If you have a chance to compare them side by side the differences in favor of the Leica become apparent.<p>I used to bring my projectors to venues in order to give presentations. I can say that both are very reliable machines. Now of course, people only want to see blue Power Point slides off an LCD projector. Occasionally, when I pull out my slides and projector they are amazed at how much better 35mm film looks compared to the LCD projector.