Hasselblad on Nikon digital

frank_bunnik

I have the possibility to buy an adapter to mount my Hasselblad 6x6 lenses on a

Nikon (in my case Fuji S5) digital camera. I have a CF 50FLE, a 100mm Ct*, a CF

150 and a 250mm c lens. On film they are of course wonderful lenses. Does

anybody have experience mounting these lenses on a Nikon digital camera? Of

course no autofocus and stopdown lens openings.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have an adapter that allows me to mount my Mamiya 645 lenses to my Nikons. Primarily I use the 500mm as a 750mm on my D2x, and it works great. Otherwise the medium format lenses would just be duplicating what I already have, and I agree with points made by others here, (dedicated lenses are easier for me to shoot with, often resulting in better quality). If you use your Hasselblad side by side with your Fuji, it makes a nice backup to be able to switch lenses if you have to. If it's not too expensive, the adapter is a neat gizmo to have, but at least in my case it doesn't see much use. If money is an issue I'd save up for focal lengths you feel as if you're missing.

Another use is that if you're primarily using your Hasselblad for a shoot, you can just bring your Fuji body and use it as a digital "Polaroid," even though the field of view will be different.

Good luck :)

Here's a comparison I did a couple of years ago with my Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 ED AF-D lens & Hasselblad 150mm f/4 Sonnar C lens mounted on a Nikon D2x. The Hasselblad lens was the old chrome single-coated lens shot wide-open whereas the Nikon zoom was closed down one stop to f/4. They are 100% crops with no post-capture sharpening done to either image.

http://members.cox.net/leecw/Hasselblad_Nikon_Comparison01Web.jpg

<p>Frank, I am using a 150mm f/4 CF lens with a Nikon D80 and sometimes a Fuji S2. It's not an ideal setup and the lens weighs more than everything else in the rig but:</p>

<ul>

<li> The image quality is of course excellent.

<li> The capture area is a ridiculously small 24mm x 16mm rectangle out of the center.

<li> I think it only makes sense if you already have the lens and the D-SLR handy. The adapter cost me USD69.

<li> It's a slow-ish process to use it, but I am guessing you're aware of the limitations and are not bothered by them.

<li> With the lens mount adapter, the lens will focus past infinity. I don't know if this is normal or not since I don't own a Hassy body, but it isn't really a problem.

</ul>

Aren't there Hasselblad to Canon FD adapters?<br><br>I have, somewhere, a Hasselblad to 35 mm camera adapter, but found that i never really used it. There is no advantage to be gained using MF lenses on 35 mm format cameras (film or digital) that warrants the inconvenience. The lenses 35 mm format makers produce are fine, and easier to use by far.<br>The big gain in quality between MF and 35 mm format (both digital and film) is in the bigger 'recording' area MF offers.<br>So if there were adapters that would allow putting a larger 'sensor' behind 35 mm format lenses... And with it lenses that cover the larger sensor too... That would make more sense. And there are: MF cameras and lenses. ;-)

They don't seem to. They only make Hassy-EOS adapters. Yes, of course I can order custom-made, but the price will kill me.

The point of getting such an adapter is to bring an SLR body along with my MF kit. I can then use the longer effective focal length on my 35 mm (due to crop factor, essentially) without bringing my 35 mm lenses.