authentication software

mike_jones3

I'm working with 10,000+ 16mb raw photo files that maybe used in court cases.

Can you recommend a software that makes the filing, storage easier, as well as

provides no alteration authentication?

I'm looking at veripic, but was wondering if you knew of other options or had

opinions on veripic.

Thank you.

I am sure you are aware, but its worth noting, that in most cases (depending on profile, what is at stake, roll of the images), if you can't prove the chain of custody and authenticity from the source (camera) to the end (court, analyst, etc), the images can be argued out. Thus, try to document and verify the images from the inception if you can.

A good lawyer is going to start killing credibility and casting doubt by picking out details he knows you won't remember--or aren't visible w/o a blow-up. Adding, subtly, that witnesses often don't recall scenes correctly. It is part of the process and not fun on the receiving end. A crime scene with 10 other witnesses is far better than one shot, by yourself, of an incident at a riot, if you can't prove the authenticity of the image.

If we are talking about how a coast line has changed in 10 years, general damage from a hurricane, or, yes the engine was clearly missing from the jet, life is easier. Medical slides?

All depends what's at stake and the role the images play. One advantage digital has is you can have N authenticated originals, so when you(rs) accidentally go missing...

About those grassy knoll photos?

I'd suggest involving the legal beagles in this from the start, to establish a credible custodial process. Lightroom and other organizers won't "prove" (that I know of) lack of changes but will allow reading of file data, retrieval, etc. I don't know if "RAW" images are more or less trouble form that standpoint because they have to be run through a conversion (although the original file should remain intact). If the complete originals can be copied for use in development, the "originals" could be maintained in custody of a reliable, unassailable custodian (perhaps even dupes held in other off-site controlled files as well), you could be able to use images, provide copies to the other side, etc., yet still have recourse to the controlled originals.

Some of the newer Nikon cameras support image authentication, through a combination of information embedded in the image at the time of capture, plus a software application which allows you to maintain the integrity of the image (ensuring that nothing in the image has been altered). That said, if you've already captured the images, I don't know if the authentication option will work for you.

J.P.'s comments regarding chain of custody are right on the money; you need to ensure that policies and procedures are in place (before the image is captured) to maintain the chain of custody.

On the other hand, J.W.'s comments regarding testimony is worthy of consideration as well. In this case, you're no longer concerned with maintaining the integrity (and verifying the authenticity) of the image through the use of technology; an individual is providing testimony to verify that the what's shown in the image(s) reflects the actual scene photographed. The lawyers would indeed attack credibility, memory and lack of minute detail. Again, you would need to ensure that the chain of custody is maintained throughout the process.

• 5 months later...