Digital camera for slow sync

tom_barrance

I'm looking for a reasonably priced, relatively small camera for taking slow synchro shots of dancers in

clubs. Must go to at least 28mm wide and have good high ISO performance, and be able to adjust the

flash level.

Currently I'm using a Ricoh GR1s film camera with fast colour film but as it's a bit hit-and-miss it's getting

expensive. Also I'd like to be able to use off-camera flash for better modelling and less redeye.

Here's an example, though I'd like to do better than this:

Andy

I'm wondering about a second-hand Sony R1 with a Metz flashgun, or will I have to go the DSLR route -

and if so, which camera/flash combination would you recommend?

The R1 is relatively small.. but the lens is fairly large ;) I don't use much flash so I'm no help there, but with the waist level finder along with the 24mm wide lens, you could get some shots you'd likely not take with either the GR1 or a DSLR.

And the mount for the flash is away from the lens axis also, which can be an advantage.

However the main downside for what you're doing, in the case of the R1 is that in low light AF is slow (but you can prefocus or manual focus) and you'll probably find the LCD refresh rate too slow, as well as the EVF, so framing the moment might be frustrating. Normally in bright light that's not a problem. You could develop a technique of keeping one eye on the LCD for general framing, but primarily looking directly at the subject for your timing (not that I've done this myself).

Anyway the R1 wouldn't be one's first choice for any action photography, although there are trade-offs that might make it worthwhile.

You might want instead to check out a small DSLR, like the Oly E-410/E-510 or Pentax or Canon XTI, or D40.. none would be any bigger than the R1, and in fact would be smaller with a fast prime mounted, the problem there is getting a wide enough prime to have a 28mm equivalent after the crop factor.

The R1 definitely has a nice wide lens, of very good quality and it's wide.

<<I know people say it has 'film-like' noise but I tried one and I didn't like it.>>

What do you mean "tried one" ? Do you mean you took test shots in the same environment as your current config and printed the results or do you mean "I zoomed to 100% on the computer" ?