craig_sander

Does anyone have any examples of using red or orange filters using Kodak B&W

film. I am new to shooting in black and white, and the last time I tried it, I

didn't used filters, and the shots weren't how I wanted them to look. I've seen

many photos where people use a dark orange or a red filter to darken the sky

and reduce haze, but I need to know how much of a difference there is and what

some of your experiences are.

Thanks so much.

The problem is, I've seen pictures on the internet where an orange or red filter was used, and the darkness of the sky is either the same, or the red filter rendered it too dark. I don't want to go out and buy 7 filters from med yellow to dark red. I was just hoping to get one good all around filter for not too serious work.

The K-2/Y48 medium yellow and the 25A red filters are what I've found most useful and the only ones I think you really need. The yellow gives a natural effect, rendering blue skies and clouds more or less the way they appear to the eye. The red gives a dramatic effect, very similar to what you would see in John Ford B&W westerns. Orange obviously is in between so if you think the red effect is too much, try orange. But that's only three filtes to buy, and personally I'd be happy with just the first two. I use the yellow for almost everything shot outside in B&W, and put the red on when I want a really dramatic effect. Besides skies, it can really pop up the contrat in old, weathered woodwork on things like old boats or barns. Some people also like a green filter to ligten foligage but I've never tried one. Tiffen filters used to come with a brochure that showed examples show with different filters. You can probably find that at your camera store or on-line to get an idea before you buy.