How long do I keep images on my computer.....

elnoralouisa

I am still new to this and Senior, and family photography, and am trying to

get a system down for computer work, etc. Just noticed last poster saying

they were asking for photos after two years.

I (of course :) have my photos backed up to CD, but how long do you actually

keep them on your computer where they are easily at your fingertips for

ordering? Do you have an ordering deadline for weddings or portraits?

For DVD's that you provide with music and some of their pics, do you insist

they get copies from you within a certain amount of time? (It seems Proshow

Gold when you move the files, the DVD stuff is no longer available without

some searching..???).

Just trying to get organized.........

Debbie

I have a dedicated hard-drive for working files. If I think I will have orders from that job folder in the next couple of months I leave the master folder on the working hard-drive. If I don't expect anymore need of the folder in the near future I archive it to CD/DVD and it goes into my files with any and all paperwork/contracts and filed in my file cabinets (just like all of my (negatives/chromes) weddings, portraits, and commercial jobs back to 1975) All weddings are filed by date, portraits & commercial jobs are filed by name.

You should have two or three external hard drives for multiple backups. DVDs and CD-ROMs are too much of a big PIA to deal with anymore; external HDs are cheap! 400GB and higher and you can hook several up at once with Firewire. No need to throw anything away. There's no better method. Nothing's perfect but if you maintain duplicates of backups you'll be 99.999% fine as long as one of the backups is off site.

I agree with Ken, but I use a program called MirrorFolder to give myself a cheap RAID, so that if one hard drive goes, the data is still there. MirrorFolder can selectively back things up based on file type, so I only back up the RAW and finished JPEGS.

I keep data on the hard drive until I give the customer the high resolution digitals. For most of my contracts, that's two years after the event. Then I back up the RAW and JPEG files to double sided DVD (eight gigs per disk), and clear the customer from the hard drive system.

The fact that the customer has the high resolution files means I'll probably never hear from them again, but I do save one copy just in case.

Later,

Paulsky

debbie - so far, i haven't thrown away any files.

I used to backup to DVD, but that's a pain.

I use external hard drives (actually, I bought two cases and buy the internal drives - they are usually noticeably cheaper). for $100 you can get 500 gigs!!

every time I download a card, a copy goes on my main computer hard drive (my workspace), and a copy goes to each of my backup hard drives.

this way, I always have three copies of every file before I delete the memory cards.

when I need old files, I load them from my backup drives.

when the backup drives are full, I slide them out and put new ones in the case - I shoot about 1500 gigs a year, so I do it about 3 times a year.

it is not the cheapest option, but I sleep very well at night knowing that I have two copies of every file - and YES, I once lost an entire drive due to a formatting error, and it was nothing but a bit of an inconvenience to load up the other backup and copy files over again.

Been using exteral back ups for many years, but also have the new DVD system that holds 250 gbs of data on 1 disk. The dvd disks cost $10 now. They were $13. The exteral drives are 3, 500gb drives, 1 wth RAID, the rest not. This is the first year for the 250gb disks, so far no failures and they are a bit slow, so I run them at night. The externals are always off unless I want to copy weddings over to them. Lately I only use Western Digital, because Maxtar was bought out by Seagate. They seem to crash a lot and start clicking. This means they are fried ad I have to take them apart and fix them, HOURS of work.

I don't have an ordering deadline because this past year I actually got 2 reorders from weddings back in the mid and early 90's. If you properly date the DVD's/ negs and use a decent file system you should be able to go right to them. A few years ago a brides husband died in a boating accident, needless to say I didn't charge her and she was so greatful I still had the negs.

I keep the files on the computer's internal hard drive for a year. After that they are only on the external hard drives, but I have never deleted any. However, I make no promises that I will keep them at all.

I do weddings only as a paying hobby, but I get the images to the couple within a week, usually less. I stay up late to do it though.

I second Edward, why throw them away? It's really NOT the money, but it sure is fun or perhaps nostalgic to see people from past weddings and look at how ones work has changed. DVD's and even negs take up very little room in a studio/house. It's hard to beat this new DVD that holds 250gbs of photos. For most people that one year of weddings all in one, two, or 3 dvd's! How much room does that take? I guess we all have our own ways of doing business and who's right or wrong doesn't really matter.