For that first experience...

sdsalyer

Hello everyone. :)

I responded to an ad in a nearby small-town newspaper regarding a part-time high

school football/volleyball photography job. I am a novice at best and haven't

been at photography long (which I was very forthcoming about), but I thought it

might be a worthwhile experience, if for no other reason than to say I'd been

published/paid for photos (not that I intend to be a pro... it's really just an

-- albeit obsessive -- hobby so far). I included some shots I took at a

motorsports event several months back since they asked for samples and that was

basically all I had related to sports.

The fellow (I think he's the head photographer for the paper) responded and

seemed to like my photos. He didn't answer all of the questions I had, but he

asked me to get back with him if I was still interested in the job. All he

really told me was that it involves shooting mostly high school football and

that it pays $7.00 per hour.

I find per-hour pay to be a bit confusing. I assumed I might be paid mileage

and then a flat rate for specific photos they would be interested in purchasing.

I've searched here on photo.net and that seems to be the norm. My concern is

that they might expect to own the rights to all of the photos taken during time

"on the clock" as it were. Obviously, I'd much rather not surrender those rights.

Anyway, the pay isn't what concerns me (though rights to the images does). I

just thought it might be worth it for the experience, even if I didn't make a

penny in the process. I have a few other concerns, seeing as I've never even

attempted shooting football, I would likely be driving 1hr+ to get to these

games (the paper is a couple counties over), and I don't want to ruin my gear by

getting crunched on the sidelines or drowning my cameras in rain/snow/mud.

I haven't really entertained the idea of trying to be a pro photographer, though

selling a photo every now and then wouldn't be terrible. I responded to the ad

in the hopes that I might enjoy myself and earn a few bucks to offset the hobby

in the process.

Would it be worth it just to get that "professional" experience under my belt?

What questions should I ask before agreeing to giving it a try?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Thank you,

SDS

There are too many unknowns in this equation. You need to find out exactly what you're going to be working as... An employee? A contractor? These are some of the things that determine who owns what. A contract would be a good idea just so nobody (meaning you) has any nasty surprises. A contract is also the 'professional' thing to do. Just don't go into this assuming anything!

I agree with Robert there are too many unknowns but let me ask you some things. I shoot high school sports for one of the local high schools here in town. I currently do it on a volunteer basis to get experience and hope to move up into a paying gig one of these days.

What equipment do you have to use such as camera bodies and lenses? Does the paper expect you to provide your own equipment or will they provide any to you? How well do you know the sports you will be covering? As the paper if they are providing press pass for you to get into the events and does having the press pass also allow you free entry and does your press pass permit side line access. Getting into the gate but not being able to get down onto the field means you just made a trip to the game for no good reason. In my case I have two separate passes issued by the school. The first is the "Get in Free" pass which gets me in free to HOME sporting events only. If I travel to an away game I have to pay entry fee. The second is my sideline pass. I must display this at all times while at the event. They have cops manning the gates to prevent folks from getting down on the field without a pass.

I love what I'm doing. Being on the sidelines is a rush. In fact if you have HBO watch Inside the NFL for a nice blurb they did on an NFL photographer this week. It's very interesting.

Finally if you do shoot football and the players get so big that they completely fill your viewfinder you'd better get the hell out of the way and QUICK :).

I shoot publicity portraits and dress rehearsals for my town's local theatre company and I highly recommend doing this. First, it's a lot of fun. Second, it's a trial by fire. Nothing teaches and makes you grow like having to produce results for publication. Finally, and no small consideration, it establishes your credibility as a "real" photographer. It's also a big ego boost to see "Photograph by Spencer Slayer" in the local paper.

As for the 'per-hour' deal, it typically (most likely) means that you produce the photos and hand them over to the editor who decides which one(s) they want to publish. You still should be able to use them for your portfolio, though.

Another thing to consider is, after the paper get's full use out of them, you may be able to sell photos from that shoot to proud parents on your own web site which could offset the cost of that drive in a hurry.

Personally, I wouldn't think of it as a paying gig so much as the best marketing possible at this stage as a photographer. Also most likely, liability on equipment is up to you.

Still, you are probably out shooting something with your free time, why not do this?

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have emailed the fellow back, asking some needed questions, but letting him know I still may be interested. Traveling back and forth may be rough, but I think it will be worth it for the fun and experience. :)

SDS