1969 Summicron 35--Good version?

blowingsky

I have a version 2, 2318xxx, and enjoy using it, especially with b&w film. I have no

complaints about its optical performance. Mine has slight element separation on the outside

diameter, so check the one you're looking at. I agree $900 may be too high. The aperture

tab on top and the off center index take some getting used to. It's very compact and great

for carrying around.

Unfortunately, there's really no such thing as a reasonably priced 35mm Leitz/Leica lens today, either. F/2.8 Summarons routinely go for $500 or more. The v1 and v4 Summicrons are mostly in four digits. There are a variety of different reasons, but the result is that prices have really gone up on the 35mm lenses.

This is hair splitting territory. I had the first version and was totally happy with it; hope the person who stole it is as happy as I was. I tried the second version when it was issued and couldn't find enough difference to justify the cost. There just ain't no bad Summicrons and the "C" version at 40mm is best of the non-asphericals as well as the best bargain at the going price!

But would any of you who responded be happy with a CV Color Skopar 35 f/2.5? I keep hearing how great they are, but my Summaron 35 f3.5 and M Rokkor 40mm are nearly an order of magnitude "better" (various manifestations of more gooder resolution, smoothness, sharpness, 3D, etc.).