Alien Bees light stands

hjoseph7

I was looking at a couple of light set-ups recently and the Alien Bees seem to

fit my price range. I also heard that the quality of these lights are

excellent, so I ordered a free catalog from the manufacturer.

I'm not too particular when it comes to light stands, but the ones I saw in

this catalog did not look like the best quality. They seemed to be crudely made

compared to the Norman light stands I have been using on the job for the past

couple of years.

Even then the Norman Light stands have to be adjusted, such as the screws that

need to be tightened every year. I'm not sure how the Alien Bees light stands

would stand up, or if you have to purchase them together with the light units.

Has anybody purchased and used Alien Bees light stands and can comment on

them ?

For the money, the 13 foot stands are pretty good. I've had four of them for quite a few years, carry them on location all the time and beat them up a bit and they havent failed in any way.

Are they as nice as the other manufacturers stands? I'm not so sure, but I can't complain about them at all.

If you put the extra money you save on these into something that will make a difference in your pictures you have better photographs than if you buy bogen stands. =o)

".....If you put the extra money you save on these into something that will make a difference in your pictures you have better photographs than if you buy bogen stands......"

That's true. If you buy a Matthews stand you get an adjustable leg, 33" arm and grip head for $150. Other models, sizes and accessories are also available.

Matthews stands are great because you can nestle the legs together for close placement of lights and modifiers. Using the boom arm you can rig a light overhead or down below to ground level. Using the same boom arm you can position flags and scrims anywhere in your set. The rectangular legs allow easy use of sandbags.

All of these features will allow you to have more control of your lighting and help you create better photography. Buy these stands once and you will be passing them down to your grandchildren.

They are the standard in the film industry.<div>00MT6e-38362884.jpg.fad3260a1e5fb23e2f5d4f1d0734dd0e.jpg</div>

The 13' air cushion AB is rock-solid and about as heavy. I'd swear it's the same stand as Normans I've used in the past.

Also, Calumet, Adorama, Savage, and some other house brands are good, sturdy, economical stands. They all appear to be made in the same factory as the ABs, and I've never had problems with any of them.

• 10 months later...

The calumet stands are a real bargain.. and apparently made by Manfrotto -- look at the model numbers. MF6045 etc. Ca --

I've got a Alien Bees B800s, but already had the stands from before. However Calumet is local to me and they stand

behind their own gear pretty well. Also they have a discount f you get 3 or more stands.