BLACK AND WHITE NEGITIVE FILM INTO SLIDES

Please turn Caps Lock off -- for various reasons it's considered rude to communicate in all-caps on the Internet. (IT'S LIKE SHOUTING!)

If you already have the developed negatives and want to make slides from them, you will need to re-photograph the negatives onto a high-contrast film (like Eastman Kodak Fine-Grain Release Positive 5302) using a macro lens or slide duplicator attachment. Then you can develop the film in paper developer to get a usable positive.

If you've shot but not yet developed the film, you can mix reversal chemistry yourself, use one of a couple of available reversal kits (Kodak and Foma make them), or send it to the DR5 lab in Colorado.

Developing B&W slides at home is not rocket science, but it's more involved and requires much more trial and error than developing for negatives.

I have a summary of available techniques at my website: http://www.photosensitive.ca/wp/methods-for-producing-bw-slides/

I contact-printed a few black and white negatives onto Kodalith film. Processing the Kodalith with a conventional developer instead of the usual high-contrast lithographic developer produced continuous tone positives. I believe I used paper developer, but it was a long time back, might have been HC-110 (liquid black and white film developer).

Ilford gives full instructions on how to do this. While not for the unexperienced, it's not terribly intimidating. Look here for directions: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/20061291034093.pdf. Other manufacturer's chemistry can be substituted for the developer(PQ Universal or Bromophen), fixer (Hypam or Ilford Rapid Fixer), and wetting agent (Ilfotol.) You'll probably want to use the hardener since the sulfuric acid used in the bleach back step will soften the emulsion quite a bit. Of course, Ilford gives directions for their films, but the process can be used with any conventional B&W film. Use Ilford's suggestions as starting points and make adjustments to the chemistry and timings to suit your needs.

Here's a sure way: Make the most beautiful prints you can make, exactly the way you'd want a slide..or perhaps make several of each, the way you'd hope they'd look plus a few variations, some going darker and more contrasty.

Then photograph with a slide film that renders good black. The best black would be with Kodachrome, but it'll take forever to get processed. The second best would be Velvia E6.

I learned about the use of Kodachrome for this purpose from a man who was paid to make finest possible slides from dozens of Edward Weston's original prints (!).

All you'd need would be a macro lens, a stand or good tripod, and a pair of blue photofloods if you can find them...or tungsten lamps using an 80B filter on your lens. Position the lamps carefully to avoid glare. If you light from only one side you'll see extreme unevenness because the macro distance will exaggerate it.