Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS Haze on Front Element

sjauch

I have had this lens for a few years, got it about when it was released. A

while ago I noticed a haze on the front element.

I thought I remember reading about this being a problem with this lens, but

couldn't find anything. I want to send it in to Canon, but am concerned they

are going to try and charge me.

Has anyone else had this problem or information on this?

Thanks

"I want to send it in to Canon, but am concerned they are going to try and charge me"

My car broke down, but I am hesitant to send it to the garage as I am concerned they and going to try charge me...... Nothing is for nothing in this world, I suggest sending it in and getting it seen to!

"I want to send it in to Canon, but am concerned they are going to try and charge me"

"My car broke down, but I am hesitant to send it to the garage as I am concerned they and going to try charge me...... Nothing is for nothing in this world, I suggest sending it in and getting it seen to!"

-------

Thanks for your useless response! If I caused the damage, I would be fine with having to pay for repair.

I was trying to see if anyone has had or heard of this problem and experience with getting it fixed.

Steve, my response was not useless, but you're welcome to think so if you like. Once a warranty period for any product under the sun has expired, you cannot expect the vendor to repair it (your fault or not), free of charge, it doesn't work like that in this world. You clearly indicated that you have had the lens for a number of years meaning that to get it fixed, you will have to pay unless Canon are very generous indeed.

OK, maybe I need to rephrase my original question.

I thought I recall reading about other people having this problem with this lens. I was wondering if anyone can confirm this and how it may have been addressed by Canon.

I searched on here and Google but couldn't come up with anything.

I has nothing to do with lens caps, improper cleaning (it's on the inside of the element) or improper storage.

How do you know what caused or what didn't cause it if you're not sure what it is? From your description, I suspect the cause is, in fact, related to how and where it has been used and stored.

Why do you think Canon should fix it for nothing?

Nothing is for nothing. Warranty work isn't free. Everyone who buys a camera pays for the warranty work of everyone who demands it. You are expecting all of us to pay for your lens problem.

It's either moisture or fungus from having moisture inside the lens. That's my guess. Send it to Canon and pay what they charge.

I often tell people to put a nice little bag of silica in their bags but most don't...this is the cheapest way to prevent this sort of thing.

As for the lens...i know the non IS had been kind of notorious for mold/fungus but have not heard that too much with the newer one...but it sure sounds like that is what has happened here

Manufacturer has responsibility of their products. If theres fungus in the lense, I see it bad manufacturing and its factory responsibility to correct. Warranty or not, but within reasonable time. I see that as few years after purchase of new lense.

Theres a cheap trick to prevent fungus to grow.

Obtain silica gel, some few hundreds of grams. Make it dry by heating it. While cooling put it in plastic bag. Nylon sock or piece from pantyhoses is good container for it.After its cooled, put your lense to plastic bag with the silica gel in the same bag. Then it removes humidity in the plastic bag. That may take a day or two at room temperature.

After its done, put the whole thing in the deep freezer (minus 30C/ minus 22F). That kills any fungus in the lense.

It dont harm the lense, but let it be in the bag till its warm again, so it dont get humidity back in the lense at warming stage.

Kinda brutal method, but works.

I heard from someone that the 200/1.8 has had problems with oxidation of interior elements but I cannot confirm this. Meybe you heard the same rumour.

I have not seen anyone rescue a lens with a fungus infection short of disassembly and cleaning the elements. Even then the coatings are often etched. Fungus spores float around in the air and almost all modern 35mm lenses suck air in. Fungus in the lens is not a manufacturing defect. You should be able to discern fine structure if it is fungus. Examine the lens through a loupe.

The element behind the front element is a UD element. I don't know if they are subject to any special environmental degradation.