Curious - Suicide Girls

I'm wondering if anyone here has done work for the Suicide Girls website. I'm

asking because I've had a few ladies ask me to photograph them so they could

apply to the site. After looking into it, I'm not so sure it's a good idea. So

I'm wondering if anyone here has had an experience, good or bad, with the

Suicide Girls. Thank you for any help with this. Cheers!

Why wouldn't it be a good idea?

Oddly, I've photographed some Suicide Girls but not for the site. I've photographed them as portraits, in strip shows, on stage with rock bands, etc. If any of them asked, I would do it, but the ones I meet are already on the site. It looks like you have the lighting skills to do it, so why not try it?

Well, when I looked at their modeling contract it seemed a bit hefty. I have no idea what the photography contract looks like, since they seem to deal mostly with girls who are photographing themselves. But it does state that you give up all rights, forever, to the images and they cannot appear anywhere else on the net. I'm concerned that if I take a killer image I would no longer be able to use it on my own website. Also - there's a lawsuit going on where SG is suing a photographer for taking pictures of his wife (a former SG) for her personal website. I know people are really on top of photographer's rights here, so I was wondering about that aspect especially...

Their contracts also prohibt you from supplying pictures to any competitor website while you are working for them and for two years after your contract with them is terminated. You give up all rights to your images.

If course if you just give away your images, you're not under contract. If you want to get paid by them, then you are.

There's a fairly high visibility lawsuit going on right now (which is why I'm aware of this). See http://community.livejournal.com/lithium_picnic/127066.html

Hi Kelly, I think Bob hit the nail on the head - if you don't mind giving away the images (which you sort of do anyway) - and by that I mean, don't accept any payment - then their contract isn't binding as I understand it. If you accept payment, they own the images and the contract's pretty gnarly.<P>

I did a set for my friend, <a href="http://suicidegirls.com/girls/Keri/photos/Guilty/#picset">Keri.</a> (It's the "Guilty" set and you probably have to be a member to view them all) We did it in about an hour and had a lot of fun. I have no regrets but, as I said, I did it as a favor.<P>

From what little I've seen of the management, I'm not impressed by them!<P>

And I'm not much of an alt/goth kind of guy myself. But if you like that kind of work and don't mind giving away some shots, you might get plenty of exposure - it's a pretty high-traffic site from what I understand. I'd read that contract very closely first. Good luck!

<I>How do you give them the images? Let the model contract with them, and give her the rights?</i><P>

Yes. I just did all the PS work then gave them to her on CD. I did sign something - but never collected the (rather paltry) sum for the photographs. I think it's a couple hundred bucks. I believe, as Bob pointed out, a contract isn't worth anything unless you accept some form of "payment".<P>

In light of that - another possible "gotcha" - is that SG's may give a photographer a "free membership" for their work. I don't know this for sure but that *may* constitute "payment" which *may* then validate the contract.<P>

I didn't accept the "free membership" either because I'd already joined to see what the site was about. So SGs never gave me anything at all for my photographs. If you can live without the payment, you may want to go this route as well. Good luck!<P>