Too small for EOS 30D

dave92029

I know that many of my photos could benefit from the use of a flash but I

haven't bought one because I just don't want to carry or use the camera with a

large flash on top. I generall do not use a tripod indoors.

Most of the time I'm relatively close, 10-20 ft of my subject when I feel the

need for the flash.

The flash built in the camera, 30D, will wash out the details when I'm close.

The Speedlite 220ex appears to be the physical size that I would be comfortable

using, but does the head rotate to allow bounce flashes? Is the power too

limiting based on my general uses?

Should I just spend the extra $100 for the 430ex and deal with the larger size?

Thanks for your comments.

Dave

To be truely useful for indoor, low light use (where the flash is the main source of light), an external flash needs to have bounce and swivel features so you can bounce flash off of ceilings and walls. I would go with the 430EX if you care how your images look.

Probably best to get the 430. If you really learn how to use it an external flash can really open up new possibilities. Look into a Demb flash bounce "Jumbo" and you wont believe what a difference it makes. Of course if you have lowish white ceilings you wont need an accessory like the Demb but in all other situations you will in order to bounce. I don't believe the 220 will allow you to bounce and that is really necessary in MANY situations.<div>00MSOq-38337584.jpg.2ab3faf7e7c80f469e20c6986c0ce49e.jpg</div>

<I>The flash built in the camera, 30D, will wash out the details when I'm close.</i><P>

What makes you think that will happen? I've used the built-in flash on the 30D down to 1:1

reproduction with a macro lens (distance from flash to subject of maybe 1 foot or less) and it

does not 'wash out details' even at that range.

I own both the 430EX and 220EX, and both have their place. I use the 220EX mainly for

travel, hiking and biking as the 430EX is really heavy after a few hours on my shoulder.

The 430EX, of course is a better flash, and I drag it along to events and use it with a ST-E2

and 420EX to shoot small products and macro. For travel and hiking I don't miss the

ability to bounce as usually there's rarely anything to bounce off! I do miss the better AF

assist light of the 430EX as the 220EX only covers the center sensor. However the compact

size makes the 220EX more useful for me. Use lithium AAs to make it even lighter.

As far as "washed out details," an external flash won't help a metering problem as it gives

the same exposure and resulting flash as an external. Any chance you accidentally

enabled FEC (flash exposure compensation)? Check it out before visiting Canon Service or

buying a flash. Either you need to turn down FEC or your meter is defective and needs

repair/calibration. My 20D is always set at +2/3 FEC as it always underexposes!

My 220EX and 430EX reviews:

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon220ex.htm

http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_430ex.htm

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

I would point you to the 430 as well even though I sold mine for the 580. But coming up from the on board flash the 430 will be a blessing that has a nice feature set. the 220EX is to limited when you will already have to get used to carring something on your hotshoe. It is not really that bad when you use it alittle. And believe me, compared to a lot of flashes, the 430 is a light weight flash with really good features and power.

Jason