Canon 40D to ship tomorrow?

dave_lewis

Not sure if eBay is a trustworthy source, but I've seen several listings saying they have them in stock (and also several selling as "pre-order only"). That is rather surprising, though... I thought the press release said late September.

I spoke with Amazon on the phone and they (i.e. the guy who answered the phone) said that his computer was showing that the first ones should ship tomorrow. Of course he didn't really know, he hadn't seen the boxes and he wasn't at the shipping location anyway. All he knew (and all anyone could say) is that the computer is indicating shipping should start tomorrow.

However it could be a glitch I guess, with someone typing in 08/30 rather than 09/30.

There are reports of being able to buy them today in Bejing (China) and in Australia, so they are certainly out there and available in other parts of the world.

Just got my 40D this morning. They've arrived in Korea already on Wednesday. So far, I'm very happy with it, it is a true replacement for my 20D. So far, so good. O-yes, was also happy and surprized to see it shiped with a copy of Adobe Lighthouse.

I played with one in the camera shop (Adelaide, Australia) today. First time I have seen one in the flesh. I am very impressed. It is similar in look and feel to the 30D, but every change made is an improvement. In particular, the new grip and viewfinder are excellent. And 6.5fps sounds (to my ear) a lot closer to the 8 of a 1D Mark II than to the 5 of the 30D. Not too loud either.

I am working hard to convince my wife to let me get one.

Hi C.G. Ouimet, yes the Adobe Lightroom. I still have to see if it is the trial version. I'm using the full version on my pc and thought to install in onto my notebook. Any way, love the camera. I actually orderd a 1DMrIII but it took to long so I bought a 5D and the 40D.

I am *very* impressed the 40D is hitting the shelves this fast.

I must admit that I was one of the ones lining up to buy the 10D a few years back: But I have a GOOD excuse in that I was planning to be on vacation within the next week (and wanted the camera for vacation).

Today, much more jaded and having other digital options (like. . .my existing 10D), I will await the reviews for this camera.

Plus. . .bear in mind that I highly doubt Photoshop Lightroom (and photoshop CS3) supports the 40D raw files. To do so would more than likely require an update of Adobe Camera Raw. I will wait for this to happen before buying the camera.

Well the 40D is simply a warmed over, more pro 400D, so no suprise it's in "our" hands already. Good to hear.

Like Dennis said, you but a 40D and a 5D together for much less than a 1DMk3. The 5D and 40D average out to the 1.3 1D3 sensor.

You could look at the 40D is a watered down 1D MkIII (or 1Ds MkIII)more than a warmed over 400D. It uses the 14-bit A/D and digic processor of the 1d MkIII, the LiveView features of the 1d MkIII, dual motor control of the mirror mechanism like the 1D MkIII, a new microlens system for the sensor like the 1D MkIII, Highlight preservation modes and high ISO noise reduction modes like the 1D MkIII. A new larger wider gamut LCD like the 1D MkIII. High speed shooting (though not as fast as the 1D MkIII) and so on.

About the only point of similarlty between the 400D and 40D is the number of pixels in the sensor and they are both shaped like an SLR!

"Plus. . .bear in mind that I highly doubt Photoshop Lightroom (and photoshop CS3) supports

the 40D raw files. To do so would more than likely require an update of Adobe Camera Raw. I

will wait for this to happen before buying the camera."

Jim: I can confirm Adobe CS3 does NOT recognise 40D RAW files, despite them being .CR2 &

despite PS CS3 recognising 400D RAW files.

What ARE Canon playing at?