Billingham bags

Hi All: I've been thinking about ordering the Billingham L2 "Alice" bag. It

looks gorgeous, very functional, and just right for my application: an M or

Barnack body with a couple of extra lenses and light meter. However,to my mind

the Billingham bags look SO classy that they simply scream "STEAL ME".

I'm interested to hear the experiences of others: are the bags as functional as

they look, and have others also felt they were setting themselves up to have

their precious gear swiped?

Thanks,

David

I have a Billingham Packington bag. It holds an M4p, 21mm, 25mm, 35mm,50mm and 90mm. A flash with bracket and two hand meters a spot and a regular incident/reflection meter. Its bigger than the Domke satchel which I got for my wifes' digital and film p&s and more flexible and if it flops on its side nothing falls out of the bag, which happens with the Domke. I think an alternative would be the Lowepro slingshot medium sized bag. I bought the Billingham used on Ebay. I loved the Packington so much I bought on Ebay two 445 bags for my Nikon cameras.

You might want to also check out <a href="http://www.artisanandartist.com/bags/

index.htm"><u>Artisan and Artist</u></a> bags. I've had the "Evans Walker" bag for a

little while now. It's quite inconspicuous and small yet can hold two M bodies with lenses

mounted (including shades), plus several rolls of film, a light meter, some pens and a small

notebook. Very well made too, and good customer service (based in NYC). I can even fit a 3rd

lens in there if need be.

I have a Hadley Pro and it will easily fit my M2 with about 4 or 5 lenses. Its got pockets up front for a small lightmeter and a notebook and other bits like filters if you use them. I find mine is tough, waterproof and it works great, as in it is easy to access and carry while offering good protection for my stuff. Brand new, the Billingham bags do look quite classy and expensive but once worn in for a while and showing a few battle scars, they look damn cool! Mine is starting to show a bit of discoloration and wear but it still works fine. Its I suppose a bit like a black paint body? ;)

A word of advice though, try to get the padded shoulder pad if you can. It probably does nothing for the comfort of the bag but the grip it provides gives me the extra confidence in running around and stuff without fear of the bag slipping off my shoulder.

I'm an obsessive bag buyer: I find the Alice (and older L2) bag to be small and of limited use regarding dividers, pockets & secure closure etc, even for a IIIF, 2 lenses and Weston, plus film, hoods & filters. The larger Billingham bags (Hadley & Packington) have rather better features and are generally much better value. I honestly wouldn't recommend the Alice - it's nice but has a rather skimpy specification for the money involved ... mine's now just used for binos, a birdspotter's book and woolly hat, etc. AC

I agree as the past owner of several Billingham Bags with Matt's comments. Billingham started out as the manufacturer of excellent fishing bags. They still make fishing bags for cameras.

I have recently acquired 2 Artist and Artisan bags and find them the best bags for my M system yet. They are light, adequetly padded,excellent strap and are unobtrusive.

It is a pity that their UK distributor ceased trading and I had to have them shipped to the UK from Photo Village New York a Leica dealer who provided excellent service.

Man, Billinghams are great. They're beautifully made and they last FOREVER. I must say though, if you're looking for a small bag the L2 isn't as nice as the S3 (recently discontinued but still in a lot of stores). The L2, Hadley small and S3 are all about the same size BUT the S3 zips closed and has buckles on the flap which together make it about impossible for the casual thief to have a "dip" into your bag on a busy train/tram/bus/market etc.

The other option is the Domke F5XB which is just about the same size and has the zipper and a velcro flap and is certainly less obviously a camera bag. Only problem with it is that it doesn't have enough padding in the base so if you drop it, bingo, one out of alignment rangefinder. That and it will be falling to pieces after 2 or 3 years while the Billingham will outlive you, your children and probably their children...

I have occasionally went to visit in Rio and Sao Paolo where it is easy to have your things robbed. Any bag that you carry is attracting to robbers because it may contain money or something valuable. I have seen someone robbed of an old dirty ripped army surplus bag. You are best to take insurance for your cameras then carry what bag you like. Alternative is to carry an old film camera with lenses that are not worth much money when you must be someplace where robbers are a good possibility.

I wish I could afford Billinghams for everything. As it stands now, I have a Hadley Pro and a whole mess of other bags of different brands. The Hadley holds two M6's with four lenses, accessories, film, towels, cell phone, two-way radio and a lot of other stuff. It has held up for several years in very frequent carrying with occasional exposure to rain. It keeps cameras dry, it's easy to work out of, it's well padded to protect the gear and the canvas material is significantly better quality than that used on Domke bags. But, given the price of the Billingham bags and my normal use, I get by with mostly Domke and Lowepro bags.

Don't worry about it looking so nice. After a year or so, it will take on a nice grudgey character.

Others' mileage may vary of course, but I think that the Billingham bags are just superb!

And I have no connection with the company etc. even though I am a Brit, just like the bags!

I have 3 of them, and I've no complaints at all. 2 black, 1 khaki. Leica stuff goes in the

Leica bag, which being black seems to attract no attention on the street. Rollei TLR in an

S3, which as Andy said is extremely secure: you can even put a small padlock through the

top zip fasteners. This bag has taken a dip in Derwent Water mud. The contents were

looked after perfectly. The outside got brushed down and sponged and looks a bit

weathered now, but better for it. Large format stuff is in a khaki 554, which takes my 5x7

kit just fine. The newer pull-on fasteners mature with use, as do the bags themselves,

which are rugged and a pleasure to handle. I'm such a satisfied customer that I even use

their freebie keyfob for my main key bundle!

Whatever you get it should have room for some future growth. These are premium luggage and if you get one that is too tiny its going to be of no use once you add an extra body, want to add a lens and flash etc.

I carry my Packington under my armpit cross the opposite side of my neck with my grip on the sling at the bag level. If someone tries to grab the bag you can press the bag tighter to under your armpit while holding it with you hand on the sling. I would drop to one knee on the bag side and throw the assailant off balance, and onto the concrete but that a MA move that takes split second timing.

Black Billingham Hadley in use for 10 years now. Excellent, hardly worn, rainproof, and black does not show dirt or look like it should have a dead pheasant hanging out of one end! I have seen an increasing number of people using them for laptop bags. I would be happy to buy another one (to support the company) except that mine looks set to last forever.

90 GBP for a bag that is still doing a great job after a decade is pretty good value and getting better value by the year.

Mine shown here with typical M outfit: http://www.photo.net/bboard/big-image?bboard_upload_id=31374484

Because 6x6 is my primary format, this particular Billingham also gets to be neatly stuffed with a complete Hasselblad camera with additional lens and magazine plus accessories. I also utilize bits from a Hasselblad case to protect this'n'that. It's very flexible in the way one canconfigure the day's kit, and has shown no sign of ware after years of rugged use. I'm thinking of getting additional bags for different outfit sizes.

Cheers, Kevin.

I ordered inserts to further divide the main compartment and I used dividers to vertically allow me to stack the small M lenses vertically and had no problem fitting 5 lenses and the external VF in the Packington. I fit flash in the main compartment. The two meters are in the rather roomy outer pockets. One thing to like is the wide should straps and comfortable shoulder strap pad.

Put your stuff in a gunny-sack and go in the wrong part of town and someone will try to steal it! Thieves believe that if you are carrying it, it must be worth something they can sell. They'll even steal diaper bags because they can sell them on the flea market! In the long run insurance is the answer if you have to carry more than you can put in your pocket -- and even then it ain't very safe!

"They are heavy..."

Well yes, canvas and leather is a bit heavier than nylon. But the difference hardly amounts to more than the weight of a couple of filters.

"over-padded..."

Many Billingham bags have no padding, but have thinly padded separate removable inserts. Those bags that have built in padding are similarly very thin closed cell foam. I simply do not agree with this statement.

"the waterproofing does a better job of keeping water in than out."

To me it is silly to complain that a waterproof bag where you open a bottle of water has no valves to let the water out. You could try the same thing in a Lowepro dryzone bag and see how much water comes out. Billingham canvas has been treated to be waterproof, unlike the canvas in Domke bags, for example, that suck up moisture and take ages to dry.

Billingham bags may be classy and expensive, but surely not as classy and expensive as LV and Gucci bags which are carried by many fair ladies in big cities across the world, and at night time too.

Just given my Billingham Series 1 bag to a friend - over 30 years old and still going strong (this was the first Billingham bag, now called the 550).

I love my Alice/L2 bag. It's my main bag, and my current kit was chosen to fit it (Canon 5D, 35/1.4, 85/1.8, 135/2.0). Spare battery and CF card, 72mm filter, and passport fit as well. Never leaves me when travelling, doesn't attract attention.