Finally, a competition to canon FullFrame.

mars c

DP Review has indicated a price of $1800 for the D300. It appears that D300 is going to be more than a handful for 40D; the weather-sealed body (150,000 cycles), ISO 6400 ( we need to see how good it is), and the unbelievable LCD are going to be the key differentiators.

The D3 is positioned as a FF 1DMIII and at $5000, will be tough to compete with. And IS0 25600 seems magical.

Finally, Canon needs to rethink its marketing strategies; it has got away with just about anything the last few years.

Let's hope Sony too will throw the hat in the ring.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget it's the photographer who makes the image, not the camera.

If you can't make a great image with the Nikon D40, Canon Rebel XTi, 20D, 30D, 40D, D80, D200 or D300, you don't need a better camera. If your APS-C shots aren't good enough, your full frame shots won't be either.

Technology is great and gadgets are great and we all want them. Just remember the essence of photography isn't about megapixels or shooting at 5, 8 or 12 frames/sec.

All these cameras do 90% of everything most photographers will ever need. so do 92%, some do 93%. You pay a lot for those "extra" functions that most people rarely use. In some ways it's like owning a car that will do 130mph and upgrading it for one that will do 150mph. More about bragging rights than utility!

The 200 ISO minimum seems a little odd... I often find 100 ISO to be not slow enough - esp.

in situations where I want to shoot wide open with some fill flash...

I can't see anyone jumping ship from Canon to Nikon for this model (esp. at 12.1 mp) but it's

good news for Nikon owners, and the industy as a whole if it increases competition and help

push prices down...

Of course it is all about the photographer. But skill and ego are often closely related :)

The key thing for me is the continued improvement in high iso noise control. I continue to be disappointed by the lack in improvement in the dynamic range capabilities.

Spot metering, 2.8AF sensitivity, 40 focus points are all fairly irrelevant in my mind. Anti-dust I can take or leave. Same with image stabilization.

Live View, and finally putting ISO full time in the view finder are two features that I really welcome, however.

I am contemplating my first dSLR upgrade since I bought a 10D four and a half years ago. I am waiting to be convinced that the 40D will take better pictures than an XTi (see second paragraph). I am not considering a system switch.

Well done, Nikon!

While as a practical matter, it's a wash between the D3 and 1D3, it's still enormously impressive to see Nikon at parity (or more) with Canon. I'd feel particularly fortunate if I were a Nikon lens owner in the market for the D300. I envy the LCD.

The great advantage of all this is that we can expect the successors to the 40D and the 1D3 to be truly ridiculous.

DI

From Wikipedia....

"....Many people, particularly in the United States, consider the design, location and number of cup holders in a vehicle to be one of the most important attributes influencing their vehicle purchase...."

and from Slate.com:

".....There are better cup holders out there, but which ones are best is a highly subjective matter. Certainly none is perfect. But consumers can expect that cup holders will continue to be improved, like all made things. (One thing to look for is a spring-loaded flap that acts like the rubber ones found on so many cup holder designs: It keeps cups smaller than the holder from jiggling and rattling.) Meanwhile, drivers and passengers alike can still dream of one that will hold whatever size drink container they can buy at a roadside convenience store. This dream cup holder will not obstruct a single other thing in the car and will hold a cup steady on a rocky road. The future cup holder, one can further dream, will move under a cup being put down by a driver watching the road the way an outfielder moves under a fly ball. Truly visionary drivers might even fantasize of the robot cup holder that can move a cup into a hand groping in the dark....."

You just never know what drives people to make a purchase, even a $30,000 purchase.

7.3fps, a 13MP sensor, a 3.2" LCD, a left handed shutter release, a camera that talks to you, who knows what's going to tip the balance.

Jim - the 40D does have a highlight tone priority mode which, assisted by the 14-bit A/D is supposed to lessen the likelyhood of blown out highlights (presumably by taking advantage of the 14 bit range during in-camera JPEG generation). This should essentially expand dynamic range (at least as far as the final image is concerned). Will it work as advertised....stay tuned....

The new lenses Nikon has released look quite good, and the D300 spec clearly eclipses the 40D spec (and the difference imho looks to be worth the price) -- pending reviews and actual performance.

But for the advanced amateur / prosumer the Nikon system still lacks an equivalent to the Canon f4L IS glass. Nikon still needs a 24-104 f4 AF-S VR and a 300 f4 AF-S VR (maybe a 16-35 f4 AF-S VR as well) -- reasonably priced.

I don't have an immediate need to expand my gear (though I was hoping for a 300 f4L IS mkII -- maybe with the new IS technology a MKII lenses will be forthcoming next year) -- BUT I'm thinking in the back of my mind that before I spring for new Canon gear -- hmmm... maybe I should seriously consider Nikon instead.

The 40D was the best midlevel DSLR in the world -- for 3 days. Competition is good. ...Maybe we will see the 40D in the fall rebate this year!

How often would you use a flash unit if you had a usable ISO 25600?

A usable ISO 25600 would be far more than "an improved cupholder". A usable ISO 25600 would be the ability to SAFELY tow a 10,000lb boat with a KIA subcompact carrying 4 passengers.

I must read more about the highlight priority mode.

Frankly, the dSLR market has been a bit boring the last year. Yes, there has been some excitement in the low end, but I am thinking Nikon has just upped the Ante at the higher end. Yeah!

This is good news for us gearhead consumers :)

"Bob, if my camera can produce excellent images at ISO 25600, I think it's more than "bragging rights".

Sure, and if space travel was cheap I'd spend my vacation this year on Mars.

Of course if Nikon gave excellent image quality at ISO 25600, some people would be dameanding that Canon bring out an ISO 128000 sensor.

How often does the average photographer need to shoot faster than ISO 800? I'm not talking about the 1% of photographers who need every photon they can get here, but the typical photographer.

It falls into the "my car can do 148mph" or "my hummer can drive through 3ft of water" category for most people. Nice to have, good for bragging rights, but unless you race at the weekend (or live in a flood zone in the case of the Hummer) pretty much immaterial for most folks.

I'm not saying changes aren't desirable, just that they aren't as important as the excitment that they generate. I'd certainly like better image quality at ISO 3200 or ISO 6400. Once or twice a year I'm probably in a position to take advantage of that. About 1000 times a year it really doesn't matter.

I have no illusions that the 40D will do much to improve my phtography, but it's a neat (though expensive) toy. I will buy one, but I'm not deluding myself that I actually NEED the new features it offers.

"Some deceptive marketing already?

D3 and D300 sound awesome but it seems that Nikon is already stretching the truth a little. Check out this thread with respect to the 933k resolution LCD...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&thread=24492850"

We'll surely see about that soon, The most important is, If it really looks 4 times the res. of the canon's LCD. Cause , who knows if canon use the same method of rating thier LCD. But I've read from someone who have previewed both nikon cam. , He said that it was very clear that you could watch movie in it ( whatever that means).

Having an ISO 6400 feature would overwhelm me , But ISO 25600 ( are you sure it's not a misprint by nikon?) totally blew my mind, regardless whether it is very noisy or not.

Bob - I appreciate your thoughts. A lot of people seem to get caught up in "oh, wow, canon

just released XX megapixels...what will nikon do?".

last time I checked, a crappy photographer with 6, or 12, or 24 megapixels is still a crappy

photographer.

last time I checked, a crappy photographer with 6, or 12, or 24 FPS is still a crappy

photographer, just at 6, or 12, or 24 FPS of crap!

It's also worth remembering that in about 18 months the shiny new D300 and 40D will be old and tired and people will be lusting after the even better 50D an D400 which will have even higher ISO capability, more pixels, a bigger buffer and yet to be dreamed of new software features, maybe built in Wi-Fi and a GPS chip!

I'm not sure how much longer I can survive without a camera that knows where it is to within 15ft, anywhere on the surface of the earth and can send images wirelessly back to my home PC no matter where I am. 10 years from now people will wonder how we managed to take any pictures at all with the primitive, limited capability, technology we have today.

Well, I rate film that high every now and then. Delta 1000 pushes (quite grungily) to that region with certain developers, and Fuji Press 1600 is even better. If there is a digital camera that can give comparable results to these films developed for that long, I can definitely make use of it. (Whether or not the results are comparable is doubtful, though.) It would mean no more people bugging me for the pictures I shot at some show and have taken too long on and spent too much money on. I could just show them files instead. True, the average user probably rarely uses 800, if that. It's just a camera, and I can and do make do with what I have, however, it is the first thing that sounds like possible alternative to Canon digital for what I personally like to shoot.

When I first decided to start working my way into digital, I wanted to go with Nikon because I had used several different cameras and found Nikons to be the most comfortable to use (hate the Canon QCD, and controls in general, right down to the power switch), and the Nikon lens mount is an enormous plus. However, lack of 135-36mm-wide format and the high noise made their cameras unappealing to me, and I was able to get a killer deal on a 1D Mk. II N at the time, so I went with it. I soon sold it for more than I paid for it and got its predecessor 1D and a 20D instead, deciding to downgrade and just sit back and save my money until some years passed and hopefully the playing field leveled a bit...which is what is happening now, hopefully!

Both companies make a good product. It's just a question of each photographer finding the best tool for his/her particular wants/style. Until now, for me, the choice was obviously Canon. I am just glad to have more choices now, and glad that I have been saving instead of buying expensive lenses like I wanted to do.

Keith

Nikon, true to form since AF came out and even more so with Digital. Five years behind Canon. They didn't come out with a 600 f/4 AF and other fast and big glass for five years after Canon had it on the market. The results for Nikon are seen on the sidelines of every major sporting event in the world in the form of White Lenses from side to side with a sprinkling of black in the mix. Ten years ago Canon was in fifth place with Nikon taking the first four. Now it is reversed.

What a Company... just wait another five years and you can see the latest and greatest copies of what Canon has on the market now.

(Nothing here is negative about the D200 which is giving Canon fits with its high quality and excellent images. Canon... are you listening?)