Tokyo report: D3 and D300

ellis_vener_photography

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Ha! Finally Nikon does a one upmanship against Canon."

Nikon has finally announced its first FF body five years after the announcement of the Canon 1Ds and days after Canon announced its fourth generation FF camera; the Nikon has significantly less resolution than the 1DsMIII and a low-end ISO limit of 200. How, precisely, has Nikon "one up(ped)" Canon?

I can claim credit for perhaps being the "match maker." As soon as I found out that both Ellis and Bjorn were in Tokyo, I informed them both that the other one was also there, and I asked Bjorn to look for a 6'5"/195cm American guy who carries a Canon camera in the Nikon press conference ... :-)

Sam, I suggest you take a look at screen shot #6. For pro cameras, it is not merely about features, AF module, pixel count and frame rate. I would still look into a D2/D3 series body to have the robust build for demanding applications, such as pro sports photography.

After falling so far behind Canon in the high-end DSLR arean for 5 years, I am glad to see Nikon is beginning to catching up. The D3 is nice, but again Nikon is still missing a high-pixel DSLR and lenses, so there will be more work.

On the D3, I like the dual-CF-card feature. Those who are so paranoid about memory card failures can now put two 16G cards into the D3 and not worry about it any more. Personally, I still would rather have one CF and one SD.

To me, it is surprising that Nikon puts its latest Multi-CAM 3500DX AF module in the D300, which now has a lot of very high-end features. It has improved significantly over the D200. The strange part is that while the D300 itself uses the EN-EL3e battery, its vertical grip the MB-D10 can optionally use the EN-EL4a battery originally for the D2/D3 series DSLRs.

Concerning lenses, there is still no news on any fast wide primes, such as a 24mm/f1.4 or 35mm/f1.4. I guess we'll just have to wait.

Finally, can Bjorn or Ellis comment on the 51 AF point system? How do you select from so many points?

Shun, what interests me is whether wide angle shooters will effectively have to replace lenses like the 28mm f/1.4 AF-D to get decent edge sharpness. (One indication of this could be whether the new 24-70mm f/2.8G lens has a thread size greater than 77mm to accomodate the projection of a larger image circle.)

Canon apparently took to heart criticism that its wide angle glass didn't perform well with its FF DSLRs and has redesigned lenses like the 16-35mm f/2.8 II, which takes an 82mm filter. Will Nikon, which has discontinued more high-quality lenses than its introduced, need to- or have the production capacity to- revamp its wide angles for use with FF DSLRs?

yes it does.

Everyone here who looked at the 40"x 60" prints (made on an Epson 9500 --that is the

Japanese product name for a printer) was really impressed. In a couple of studio shots we

saw some halo's from the in camera JPEGs being a touch oversharpened. Likely this won't

be the case with D3 & D300 NEFS where we have more control over the sharpening., but

all of the prints had far better detail than I would have expected from a 12 mp sensor.

Eric:

Thye D3 isn't targeted to the same users as the 1Ds Mark 3 but in terms of image quality it

looks like it do better than the 1D mark 2.

While megapixel count is one factor in digital photograph quality, it's just one factor and

not even the prime one at this point, With the 1Ds mark 3 Canon is protecting its turf

against encroachment by the medium format backs like Phase One, and Hassleblad H2 and

H3D. I'm pretty sure a lot of people who have 5D cameras and who were thinking about

moving to amedium format system .

So in terms of the sub $5K DSLR market Nikon appears to have the lead now.

The 24-70 has 77mm filter thread. It is a misunderstanding that a lens needs to be "wider" in front to project a larger image circle to its rear.

The lens diagrams show very sophisticated designs and I'm eagerly waiting for review samples of each lens. I did shoot both with my D2X though, but since they were not official production items I wisely refrain from a detailed analysis, except for stating that they surely looked nice and handled even better.

Eric, again, even though the new camera is a D3 instead of D3H, it is still mainly a sports camera at 9 frames/sec. Therefore, it makes sense to update the 400mm/f2.8 and 600mm/f4 along with the D3. Since the D3 is FX frame, the 600mm/f4 will once again be important for some sports, such as American football.

Nikon will still need to follow up with some sorts of a D3X at FX frame and 20MP to compete against the 1Ds Mark III. By then you'll really need to improve the wide angles. I would expect that in 2008 along with updates to the lower end: D80 and D40.

I think the good news is that Nikon is finally picking up the pace for its product renewal cycle. The 4-year gap between the D1x and D2x is simply no longer acceptable in the digital era. The announcement time between the D200 and D300 is now less than 2 years.

One thing I have liked about Nikon's line of bodies is that with the same sensor size, one doesn't get a different crop factor when using different bodies. It makes having a less expensive backup body easier. Some other companies have at least three crop factors and that can be very confusing as the same lens gives three different views depending upon what body it is mounted on.

While I am glad to see the FX sized sensor (Does the F in FX stand for FILM? GASP!!!) I will stick with the smaller sensor for several reasons. One is that fact that the DX lenses are so small and light. A lens that is with me will take much better photos than one left at home because I don't want to lug it around.

Zach: yes, it certainly pays off in this respect. However, the benefit is only automatically realised for longer focal lengths, which aren't the troublemakers anyway. So judged from the designs, and in particular the fact that the 14-24 has its closest limit for the longer end of its focal range, I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon included a significant amount of telecentricity in these new wide-angle zooms. The longer flange-to film plane distance then would make the design task easier. If that indeed is true, we could expect excellent corner-to-corner performance also at 14mm. But take this as a pure speculation from my side for the time being.

Bjorn, I'll defer to your superior knowledge of lens design; but Canon didn't redesign the 16-35mm f/2.8, dramatically increasing its size, weight and thread size for nothing. Telling a customer he'll need 82mm filters doesn't improve the salability of Canon's 16-35mm II lens over the 16-35mm lens.

Shun, that Nikon updated some big glass is swell. I'm interested in whether Nikon's current wide glass will produce adequate edge sharpness with FF DSLR sensor.

It must be around midnight in Tokyo. I am sure that we'll continue to discuss the D3, D300 and the new lenses for months to come, especially when actual production models are avaiable.

On behalf on the Nikon Forum, I would like to thank Bjorn and Ellis again for providing first-hand information to so many of us around the world. I am sure all of us here really appreciate your effort.

It might just be the case that Nikon knows how to design lenses in a different fashion than Canon. Plus the fact that using different designs for wide-angles means you don't automatically get a bigger projected image circle (and hence potentially better corner performance) by increasing lens dimensions alone. Why Canon did this only they can answer and I'm not familiar with their new designs so can't comment upon that, but the shorter register distance might add some difficulties on its own. What I do know from test shooting is that the previous 16-35 did not produce satisfactory corner quality on a FF Canon. So if the recent redesign solves that issue for Canon users, I'm happy on their behalf.

True, Shun, it's getting a bit late here in Tokyo. but we are "time-warped" as it were and soldier on. It has been a massively impressive day and surely the Japanese are masters in arranging events like the one we have attended.

Early tomorrow, much too early after all the stuff we consumed this evening, we'll go by Bullet train to visit the D3 factory at Sendai in northern Japan.