Want to make the jump from PC to Mac

I am probably the only photographer who still uses a PC! I am thinking about

making the jump to a new iMac and am wondering how I'll be able to transfer over

software (CS+ Kubota actions), files, etc. Basically everything from my PC to

the new iMac. Are there problems I could come across? It's kind of scary for

me to think about all of the logistics even though I know I will be much

happpier in the long run.

I also use a PC and as it happens was looking at the new iMacs in the Apple store today, with a view to changing platforms. I have to say though that the new glossy screens would make pro photo editing very difficult. It would be impossible to see all of the shadow detail due to reflections, unless you have a completely blacked out studio (darkroom?!) Even the Apple staff looked embarrassed when asked about it, and said they'd had lots of negative comments from Apple users.

I would wait until Apple have a change of mind and re-introduce non-glossy screens, or go for an ACD. Otherwise, the 24" is a very nice machine.

Adobe can enable the platfor m switch and tpo really take advantage of the new architecture in any of the MAcs since they started using intel multi-core processors you 'll be glad you updated fropm photosho pCs to Cs3 . and you'll need to talk with Kubota.

If the gloss screen of the newest iMacs isn't to your taste -lots of photographers are having problems with it-- you can puse that as your secondary monitor and either continue woith the monitor you have now or pick a really good NEC, Apple Cinema Display, Samsung, etc. for $300 and up. Two monitors really does make a productivity difference and the iMacs are set up for that

"I am probably the only photographer who still uses a PC! "

No, there's at least two of us. : - ) Just curious - what is it you expect to gain by the switch from a photography standpoint that makes you sure you'll be much happier? I ask because I used a Mac in college photography courses and never could figure out what the big deal was supposed to be, though that was about six years ago.

There are three of us still using PCs! I use a Vista 64 bit platform with CS3, 10K hard drives and 4 gigs of RAM, dual core AMD processor and it flies! Doesn't crash, sees 3 gigs of memory and I had it custom built, with premium quality parts for far less than a comparable Mac.

• 4 weeks later...