Am having occasional difficulty with focus on Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS lens .. any suggestions ?

ian_luyt

Each lense has a minimum focusing distance... U have to be X meters away...

If u take a look at the lense, on the side there's a switch... X-infinity...

Pick the smaller one... If you're still having focusing problems, then you're too close to the subject and u have to back up...

Thanks for the questions. I'm using a 30D, mostly in "P" mode. I have checked the focus lockup (this is a good suggestion and has been an oversight in the past). Subjects being shot consist mostly of people in public situations. I am often trying to focus on, for example, an individual but often pick up the focus on something just to the side of the person.

Good suggestions so far from all of you, thanks for the help !

"I am often trying to focus on, for example, an individual but often pick up the focus on something just to the side of the person."

I would send it back to Canon, or get use to using the focusing points. Focusing points are very important especially in portraiture. That's why I often find myself putting the lens in Manual mode rather than AF, because it's allot quiker.

In any case, it seems that the 30D has a lot of horror stories to tell. Mine has worked especially well ever since I got it. Sorry but yours might just be a lemon. Dish it before the warranty runs out is my advice.

It sounds like you have all the AF points activated, and the camera is choosing which one to use.

It will give you much better control to select a single AF point.

AF simply motorizes the operation of turning the focusing collar. It doesn't do the thinking for you. You still have to tell the camera what to focus on for decent results. Otherwise, the camera just chooses the point that has the most contrast.

So, my suggestion is to set the camera on one-shot AF mode, activate a single AF point, put it directly over what you want to shoot, focus, keep your finger on the focus button (either shutter halfway or * button, depending on how your camera is set up), and then compose the shot.

I think most people will be better served by putting control of AF onto the AE lock (*) button. Only occasionally will I put it back on the shutter usually on the occasions when I use AI servo focus (basketball action, for instance).

The more you leave to automation, the more you have to pay attention, actually...just to make sure the darned thing is doing what you want it to do!

Keith