Tripod and ballhead

zdenek

I have a Gitzo G-1227 CF tripod and an Arca B1 - it is marginal for use with an Hasselblad. I get more consistent results with a Gitzo series 3 (GT-3540 or aluminum G-1340) with a platform or leveling head. It takes a lot of care to get the most out of medium format and Zeiss lenses.

The absolute best source for ballheads and tripods and accessories is Really Right Stuff in

California. Their B-40 ballhead would probably be right for you. I have all three of their

heads and I learned about this company 3 or 4 years ago on Photo.net. They have since

been acquired by a new "individual owner" as opposed to a big company and this guy is

really on the ball (so to speak.) In the last 2 years they have more than tripled the stuff

they are making themselves and it is all absolutely top quality--the ultimate.

They recommend Gitzo tripods (and sell them) to go with their heads and accessories.

Check their web site and get their catalog and you'll never buy from anybody else. Also,

you won't keep trying "new" stuff looking for gimmicks and wasting money.

SEARCH THE ARCHIVES on Tripods. Everything that needs to be said has been. Generally,

you will find most pros agree you can't go wrong with a Gitzo carbon fiber tripod.

My light setup works up to 150 mm, for 250 mm I prefer my heavier tripod. I practically always use MLU on a tripod. So these are the things that you should first consider: your shooting and carrying style and the focal lengths you sue. The carbon fibre Gitzo 3-series is probably brilliant, but if it's too expensive the there are cheaper alternatives that many people like.

The Arca B1 has been superseded by the Z1, which is actually cheaper. Looks like a promising head. If you're in Europe, they should be readily available, e.g. Isarfoto in Germany has them.

In the "FWIW" column: Generally, my Hassies or P67s sit on Gitzos with the Gitzo ballheads. In fact, I just replaced one that had broken after 30+ years of intermittent use. I was able to get a "like-new" replacement for $56US via Ebay. RRS makes some terrific hardware tho'!