Looking for a backup camera........

elnoralouisa

ttl flash will only be of help once you understand the concepts of lighting, and how to properly setup a shot, whether on the run, or static. i meant it is useless if you don't know how to light anything to begin with. it isn't teaching you anything.

once you know how to light, and if it makes it easier at a wedding, or an event, then great. but debbie sounds like she needs to learn all the basics. going to a seminar like she was going to attend wasn't going to teach her anything except for how to open her checkbook and buy some more nikon flash gear. or maybe that her professional level camera wasn't good enough for nikon's flash system.

wedding photographers got along for years with no ttl flash gear. in fact, i'd bet a majority still do. they all--like debbie needs to--learned how to properly meter for, and setup for an artificially lit situation. all that information is crucial to lighting shots with a balance of ambient and strobe lighting.

Dave, you're a moving target on CLS. It could well be that the seminar was intended to explain basic principles of lighting in the context of utilizing CLS, but you jump to a conclusion about the seminar without having read its syllabus or having attended it. The beauty of CLS is that it gives you direct control of your remote flashes in the context of exposure values from your camera (D80, D200 or D2 series) or from your master flash (SB800 or SU800).

At this link: http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/feelnikon/discovery/cbp/better_pict11.htm there is a good description of how to quickly set up CLS using basic lighting and exposure fundamentals. Taking this further imagine in the sample shots if you want to use two remote Speedlights to get some textured lighting on your subject, using one to cast some subtle shadowing and the other to keep shadows from becoming too dark. Using the master flash on your camera or camera mounted Speedlight, you can simply direct the remote Speedlight on the left or right to expose the subject 1 or two stops less than the opposite Speedlight. If your EC choice is too much or too little, you can change it in a couple of seconds -- try doing that with a light meter and strobes.

Using TTL to determine the EV of the scene and each Speedlight's contribution to it can be a very fast and effective tool if you understand what its strengths and limitations are -- thus the probable purpose of the seminar that Debbie could not benefit from because she does not have those capabilities in her camera. Falling back on light meters and full power, half power, quarter power, etc. flash settings in conjunction with GNs and the distance of the strobes from the subject will mean losing time, the patience of your clients, and ultimately precious moments.

Ok, ok, ok, enough information.

Conclusions--I am NOT doing anything for at least a week due to time restrictions--NOT going to the seminar even if a Nikon walked in the door right now (I have other plans now). 'Might' go to the camera store this week with a sign on my neck saying "not buying a camera today' and check out the D200 and D80. Right now, the stuff about staying with Pentax is very valid, and would be the cheapest way to go. I was checking the CHEAP prices on a K100D or the Super, and that would probably be the easiest way to go....but then again....

thanks for all the help. If you see me back here...well, you know I picked the Nikon :) or not.........

Debbie

Yeah, Russ there is....I guess what the conclusion is, is that I still have plenty of room to grow with my camera (I KNEW that!), and I should listen to the guy doing the seminar just because they don't think Pentax is 'up there' as far as cameras. Now my decision is whether I want to do the growing with Pentax or Nikon..........

at this point, I am thinking it makes more sense to stick with Pentax and spend my money adding on, but we still see.......

"... at this point, I am thinking it makes more sense to stick with Pentax and spend my money adding on, but we still see......."

Just to clarify something here, I would have joined the early posts in this thread in recommending a second Pentax body as a back-up for the first one if I hadn't read this first:

"Nope, not interested in buying any more Pentax."

There's nothing wrong with Pentax, and it's unfortunate that this thread turned into a Pentax versus Nikon argument.

Some folks like CLS. But I find the trigger distance and line-of-sight requirements too constraining. CLS as a radio-based system would have been fantastic. I also shoot different formats, so learning different methods for each format is too complicated.

But, if it suits your needs, go for it. It does work well if it matches your shooting style.

Anthony writes [There's nothing wrong with Pentax, and it's unfortunate that this thread

turned into a Pentax versus Nikon argument.]

Yeah, actually it turned into a bunch of Nikon users talking about how great Pentax is! (I

honestly think Nikon users are less "manic" about brand loyalty than the others...)

I bought my D50 in Spring of 06 even though I had a bunch of Pentax glass, because

Pentax wasn't really in the DSLR game good enough. I LOVE my D50 and my Nikon lenses,

but if I was going to buy new from scratch today, I'd stick with the Pentax NO QUESTION.

The K10D is sweet. I'll stick with Nikon now, but I think you'd be well served by sticking

with Pentax and finding better seminars to attend.

Debbie -- As a long time Nikon user as well as a user of old Pentax spotmatics, you should know that unlike Nikon, you can use all the old manual K-mount lenses and screwount lenses (with an adapter) with any Pentax DSLR -- and be able to meter. That means you can find some excellent lenses for not a lot of $$ to add to your Pentax arsenal. The comment on the Strobist blog is dead-on. There is a lot of great information there. So, add another Pentax and don't worry about it.