anyone use clayton developers for film?

davemoss

i know they make two different types, f60 and f76. from what i remember, they

both are speed-sucking beyond reproach. i am tired of loosing half a gallon of

d76 every four months, and i don't want to use hc-110 all the time. just

checking to see if anyone actually uses this stuff, and how it fares compared to

d76 1:1.

and what's the difference between he two?

wow, i guess i'm the first person to have allowed a couple typos to get through on a post. thanks for the help in the grammar, but next time try answering the question.

if anyone can actually answer the question i had, instead of generalizing, or playing english teacher, i'd love to still find out what the differences are. particularly if they are still speed killers.

from what i recall, they didn't act anything at all like d76.

THANK YOU.

Hi,

Don't be put off the list. I've used Clayton F-76+ for the last four years as my standard

devloper for film ISO 400 and above. I've never noticed any speed loss, and in fact it's great

for push processing. What film were you using it with? What dilution? I even get a speed

boost out of AGFAPAN 400.

I hate mixing D-76 so avoid it like the plague. I'd say F-76+ is more similar to Ilford DD-X.

i used the f76 with 1:9 dilution. i tried it with tmax 100 and tri-x, both in 120, and both for the recommended times and temps. this was more than one bottle too, since after the first, i thought i might have gotten a bad one.

from what i recall , the times were in the 7.5 minute range, factoring in 20 per cent less dev time for rating both at half box speed.

with tmax in particular, i would have ZERO shadow detail, again shooting at ISO 50, and going by their times. i figured i wasn't going to shoot it any slower than that, and hc-110 and d76 did a much better job.

i do love the d76 1:1 tonal range for both of those films, but don't shoot enough to warrant buying the gallon packs anymore. hence, i end up tossing half a gallon or more away.

i guess i could get dry chemicals and mix my own, but it would be nice to have a bottle of something at the ready, whenever i needed it.

heck, it is only six bucks, so maybe i'll just try it again. i was just wondering if it still was like when i attempted using it.

The difference in results between CLAYTON F 76plus DEVELOPER and Kodak D 76 is demonstrable. The example of underdevelopment described, I will guess was with 100 TMX film. We have found that when Tmax 100 was changed to 100 TMX, F76 Developer required 50% more processing time. All other times and temperatures remain the same. I wish you had contacted me with poor results so that I could help. I hope that you did not loose any images that were critical or unreplaceable.

One of the biggest advantages to liquid developers is that you can aloquate them to need.

thanks, but i didn't know who you were. if there is an accurate sheet of times and temps for f60, then please let me know. i would like to get a liquid with the characteristics of d76. hc-110 is different, and requires too short a development time for 4x5 work.

Dave,

HC-110 is a great developer of 4X5 sheet film. Just use the unofficial dilution, Dilution H (1+63 from concentrate) Normal developing time will be in the 8 minute areana. I use Dilution H for Normal, Normal plus and Normal minus development and all my times are 7 minutes of longer.

And I do use and recommend Clayton Chemicals for printing; Clayton Ultra Cold Tone Developer, and Clayton Rapid fixer for both film and paper.

Paul

After using numerous paper developers and experiencing frustrations with them, I tried Clayton's P20 neutral developer and was blown away by the amazing quality it gives me with both Ilford and Kentmere RC glossy papers. Highly recommended!

I use D-76 mixed from powder and store it in those liter plastic bottles that Coke and other sodas come in. They're all filled right up to the very top except for one. I figure that the plastic has to be able to keep the carbon dioxide in the soda so it should keep oxygen out of the D-76. Right now I'm using some that I mixed in February and it's just fine. I do store the bottles in the dark.