127 Slide Film Source

Hi - with the ridiculous prices being asked for 127 film size I decided to see if I can roll my own. It can seem kind of difficult, but it really isn't and with practice you will have access to all modern emulsions made in 120 size. First of you will need a film cutter, as the 127 is about 46mm wide vs the 62mm width of the 120 film, once you have that, the rest is easy. You will need to collect and preserve as many spools as possible. I got some form Mr. Oleson (Thank you Rick) and also preserved the left over from a batch of efke and Macophot I bought later. I also preserved the backing paper and made some myself off 120 backing paper as one set of numbers actually matches with the ones on 127 backing paper. My film slitter is really a pleciglass plate which is 62mm wide, and has an exacto blade fixed to it perpendicularly. This pleciglass plate fits in the 6x9 frame of a cheap rollfilm camera I bought for this specific job. All you do is roll film as you would from one spool to the other and it splits nicely in respectively 16mm and 46mm strips. The 16mm I use with my Minolta 16 cameras, and the 46, you guessed it, for 127 film. Here is a photo of my film slicer:<div>00MB9C-37866084.jpg.68e6a0e0f0aa8dee859a70804bfe6cf4.jpg</div>

Ralf, I did exactly what you did (although I fixed the cutter to the pressure plate) and indeed it works fine. However the next steps still baffles me. The "127" film roll I obtain is much too long to fit on the spool, and must be cut to to appropriate length. How do you do that, given the need to work in total darkness?

I've also been saving old paper backs with the idea of removing the film from the cut strip and attaching it to the old paper, but can you suggest a practical way to do that under darness? Any suggestion will be much appreciated.

Mark - thanks for the kind words.

Ezio - this takes a little practice but you get the hang of it. First of, I use a Photoflex Changing room I bought new from B&H in New York: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/41880-REG/Photoflex_ACCROO1_Film_Changing_Room_25.html

I find this large and there is plenty of room to work. Prior to rolling film I place one adequate piece of masking tape at the starting point of the film, and a tiny piece where the film is supposed to end. As you know the 127 film just like 120 film needs to be rolled in backwards the end first begining point, last. I roll the end of backing paper into the spool and once I feel the piece of tape I had previously put on it, then It is time to roll the film. I roll the film up to the starting point where I feel the other piece of tape which tells me that the time to cut the film has arrived. I cut it with scissors and tape it with the tape already in place. Then the roll is complete. I usually use masking tape as it is easy to peel it off the backing paper and it doesn't lose its adhesive quality by much. Hope that was helpful. Regards

If I'm not mistaken, 126 cartridges contained 127-size film in a plastic housing. You should still be able to find 126 cartridges, break one end and extract the film with paper packing, you should have everything to load a 127 spool. Mind you, this is just what I have been led to believe, I have never actually tried it since I don't currently have any 127 cameras that I am aware of. (ok, so I have a lot of cameras in boxes, etc, so maybe I'm wrong. I do have several 126 cameras, including a very nice Minolta Auto-Pak :-) )

126 film is unperforated 35mm which then had single perferations along the top. 127 film is 46mm film. Sometimes bulk 46mm pops up for auction and people buy it to reload into 127. Unfortunately, only bulk 46mm that seems to be available is Kodak Portra 160 NC for prints. I think slitting 120 slide film is going to be the only way to go at this point.

• 5 months later...

Dear Ralf,

I'm located in China. I really like your cutter. But I'm not good at DIY. Therefore, is it possible that you can make another one and I can pay for that. I have a 6X6 camera but you may be able to make a cutter for me which I will appreciate very much.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...