R or M outfit for Italy

jyenyo

This will be my first trip to Italy. I have an M7 M3 and 21mm, 35mm, 50mm and

90mms in my M outfit. I have R 6.2 and R9 with lenses from 15mm up including the

28mm shift lens. My question is, smaller size with the M system or the R system

with the shift lens for architecture?

Ok, lets play, what is the purpose of the trip? Business or Pleasure? Are you trying to do anything in particular on this trip photographically? What type of things do you like or want to shoot? People, places or things? Landscapes, buildings? What are you doing with the shots afterwards? Family, kids? Who is going with you? Lots of questions, sorry but more info would be helpful. Then you can address which gear may be more appropriate or both, but I would assume from question you do not want to bring both....poss combo of M7 its lenses, R6.2, 28mmt/s, and maybe longer telephoto or macro..just random thoughts..

How about one M7 plus lenses, R6.2+28+longer lenses. PS has generally substituted my

use for my shift lenses but it is not a perfect substitute.

This is going to be heavy.

For walking, I will take a 28/70 and 70/210 if I will scan things to correct distortion. If not

a 21, 28 shift, 35/70 70/210.

For touring and not serious photography, one M = the 4 lenses.

If you are not careful, you will come back tired from carrying all that stuff. Pick your

favorite locations and go back with the proper equipment or travel light

I was in Italy on vacation earlier this summer. I took my IIIg with a 35, a 50 collapible Summicron, and 90 Elmar. We did a lot of walking so I was glad I left the heavier gear at home. I did use Photoshop to take care of some of the situations where a shift lens would have been nice. A wider angle lens might have been nice for some situations. I hardly even used the 90. I was also glad I took my Leica table top tripod. It was very useful for taking indoor available light shots. I would have preferred to have my M2, but it needs a CLA to fix an erratic shutter.

Jim, you have the typical 'choice dilemma' on your gear configuration before the trip. M or R, DSLR or 903SWC. And a pocket digital p/s to boot. Films or memory cards? Shift lens would normally require a tripod and a time consuming setup. You are likey to end up with less shots albeit some great ones. I'd prefer some light gear, two bodies with no more than 3 chosen lenses for the trip. The shopping would add extra weight on your passage home. Have great trip.

This is a pleasure trip (3 weeks) with my wife. I shoot mostly slide film. I want to photograph anything of interest. I was advised to take the 21, 35, 9omm's. stay somewhat light.I just hope I don't regret taking my shift lens for large buildings.

Thanks for the answers.

I see the tourists every day here in Rome loaded down with packs and bags, big DSLR's and fat long lenses, evidently not enjoying their visit. A shift lens may be fun but Photoshop will work well enough. I agree with the advice to stay as light as possible and not to worry about every possible contingency. A small RF, an extra lens, prepare for low light in the dark churches, and the bright Roman sun with glaring white marble of the fori.

Have a great trip.

Ciao.

David (Roma, Italia)

No new advice for you on M vs. R, Jim, but either way, I'd recommend bringing at least a small back-up camera that's been tested and is working. Any camera can fail. My theory is that a camera is more likely to poop out when it knows it's all alone in the bag. :-)

I see you're shooting slide film. A couple of the Pentax p & s film cameras, I believe 28 - 90mm and/or 38 - 115mm (not certain about those lengths ?) meter well, are built decently, and allow +/- exposure comp. The last models sold looked less solid to me than some of the earlier ones, which I've used. An Olympus Stylus would probably fit the bill, as would a number of p & s digital cameras, but I have a sneaking hunch that's not your thing.

Enjoy the trip.

Take your M with a 35 (and a 90 if you want the extra weight). Have a great time. BTW I lived 9 months in the Mediterranean area with only a 35 lens (although I had access to a 50, 90 and 135). I've never regretted not having the others for that trip. Last time I went to Italy I took more gear, but didn't use it very much; maybe 35mm 90% and 90mm the remainder.

Italian towns are serious wideangle territory - narrow streets, tall buildings. 24mm would be pretty much the minimum for architecture; a 28mm shift would be a reasonable substitute. Rome, Florence, Venice, Pisa and especially Sienna are 15~21mm territory much of the time, so for some scenes a 28mm shift may be insufficient for classical shots. In contrast, rural scenes are often better depicted using quite long lenses, c. 135~200, rather than just with wide-angle vistas.

I visit different parts of Italy about once a year (often by car); when portability is important I normally use three lenses: 15mm, 24mm (or 28mm) and 35mm (or 50mm) on a rf camera, which are fine for general urban work, possibly a 75mm (or 90mm) when I'm in the mood for people photography. Alternatively if I fly-in for a short visit I just take an af film slr with 17-35mm & 28-70mm - I'd always have a superwide handy.

When I aim to do 'serious' photography I use a manual (film) slr with 20mm, 24mm, 35mm, 55mm macro, 105mm and (often) a 200mm. The slr kit allows easier close-ups that are a pain with a rf kit (letter boxes, door knobs, flowers, etc). When I opt for the slr kit, I may take a bare-bones Leica: 15mm, 28mm & 50mm - or possibly just a 15mm & 35mm.

If I was really pushed by baggage/weight considerations (eg flying) I'd still take a 15/18/20mm lens and make 35mm my standard: I'd sacrifice all other focal lengths for a good light mini-tripod for dusk/night/indoor/slow-shutter photography and work within the constraints of the the lenses I'm carrying.

All that is probably of no help whatsoever ..... sorry. AC

If you can live with f/4 as the widest opening, get a Tri-Elmar. Take that with the M7 and 21 and 90 lenses -- a light kit, only three lenses but five focal lengths. Leave the reflex gear at home. You will regret being weghted down with two kits and a lot of lenses.

My niece took her V-Lux 1 as her only camera with her to Paris a few months ago. Now that's travelling light!

I love the problem you have, too much good stuff to choose from. I would want to carry 3 lenses top. If you have a 28-70 and a 70-200mm zooms plus a 50mm f1.4 you have it covered. Of course I would take a strobe and an Olympus stylis fixed 28mm point and shoot as backup. Maybe a carbon fibre monopod. Thats it. I would carry it all in the Lowepro slingshot 300. Just make sure to really check everything is functioning perfectly before leaving home and after you arrive in Italy. Have batteries and film. With the slr and leica zooms you will have almost as good a lens as single focal length with the ability to frame and compose more accurately. With the strobe you will be able to use slower film and have more control over exposure and balance with flash fill.

I travelled to Italy twice, The first time with Contax 139 with Planar 50/1.4 and Distagon 28/28, second time with R5 and Vario Elmar 28-70. 28mm wide angle is adequate for most scenes. However at some

places such as St Peter's Cathedral a Vantican, 28mm is not wide enough, next time I will bring in addition a wider lens, for example

Elmarit R 19mm.

I'd reinforce what Kurt says, though I have never, ever had a problem anywhere in Europe in 40 years of regular travel. I do take precautions however. I ensure all camera bags (especially backpacks) are securely closed when in crowded places. I use a PacSafe wrap-around steel mesh 'bag' (eg CableSafe 100) that can be padlocked to an immovable object (eg plumbing) in hotels, etc. Finally I stay aware of people who get too close to me for too long in crowds: being alert is the best deterrent to pickpockets, etc. Actually the biggest risk by far is just putting something down and walking off without it. Just be savvy - AC

Just back from Rome yesterday. Just want to share some of my experiences.

I would take the R-lenses, especially the 15mm for the St Peter's dome and interior shots. 28 shift lens for the Coloseum and the Forum. A fast, wide angle for the Vatican Museum. A wide angle zoom for the street photos. A small tripod for night shots.

I took the 21, 35, 85mm lenses. 21 sometimes was not wide enough for dome shots. I brought my Linhof 612 but I did not use it because my back could not stand the extra weight.

Don't wear your camera outside when travel on the Metro or buses, especially when it is very crowded. Look like a normal tourist. I saw some one tried to pick pocket a front hip bag from a tourist wearing brand new Digital SLR around his shoulder. Luckily his wife saw that and shouted. The woman who tried to pick pocket just look back and shout back as if she did not do anything. It gave them quite a scare. They were hugging each other until they got off the Vatican stop.

<P>The choice of travel combo from a large gear selection is an old favourite. I hesitate to answer because I don't own any Leica gear (though my favourite SLR is my Minolta XD-7, which is an R4 in all but name).</P><P>Anyway, to the point. I don't regard my photography as serious if I'm not using a tripod, so let's get that out of the way. If you're not taking a tripod, it doesn't matter what camera you're holding. Any or all of your list. Whatever takes your fancy. Whatever you enjoy using.</P><P>I did some post-holiday analysis a while back, when I took a lot of gear away with me, to find out which lenses got most use. I found 90% of my shots were with the 50 and the 28, so that's what got packed after that. At some stage you probably need to do that exercise because the advice of others is of limited use.</P>

My suggestion would be to take the M7. Shift lenses are for postcards and for architecture guidebooks - I doubt you are taking these sorts of shots. I suggest you take the pictures your lenses allow not look for the lens to make the picture you want. Be creative and work with what you have. If you take all your R lenses you will be exhausted. On my Italian trips I took my R6 or SL with 28/50/90 and sometimes 180. But this was before I had an M. I always take a Leica table tripod too as a stand in for a real tripod when the light gets really low.
Robin Smith