Looking for Website Designer Recommendations

I'd take a look at Template Monster for a couple reasons. First, they have some great designs and second, you can get them for about $50. You definitely need to modify the HTML, which is a lot easier than creating HTML from scratch.

So, I'd pick up a book at Borders on HTML and learn the basics. This way, you can maintain the site in the future and are not dependent on somebody else for minor changes.

Even if you go with a web designer, sometimes its easier to point to a website you like and have him customize it specifically for you than to start from scratch. So, either way, I'd take a look at that site.

I happen to work for a custom web design firm in Los Angeles. If you google "Professional Website Design" you'll probably find us in the top of the search rankings. Today we are ranking first place, but tomorrow it could be 3rd or 4th.

One final suggestion is to use Flash ONLY for things like banners and headers. Don't rely on Flash throughout your entire site. I say this for a few reasons:

First, Flash kills your natural, organic, search engine optimization. Google cannot read the letters or words in your Flash application.

Second, it slows down page loading and if your client can't see your page within about 3 seconds she will back out. Google pay attention to how many people immediately back out and will push your rankings even lower if website visitors frequently back out of your site.

Finally, Flash is extraordinarily difficult and expensive to maintain. And, if you don't have the original source files, it is completey unmaintainable. So, cross your fingers that your Flash designer doesn't die, flake out on your, or disappear.

Good luck, Blake

Courney,

Just be cautious of the likes of Template monster, as after purchasing you still have to have the template coded. It will not work as-is.

If you are serious about your photography and want to give a professional impression, I would use a company like Photoidentities that specialize in templates for Photographers. Here is a link to their website http://www.photoidentities.com

Here is a link to their Photography website template http://www.photoidentities.com/template-special.htm

They have fully editable Flash websites that are really simple for you to maintain. No need for a programmer or even the need to learn yourself. And did I mention they are very affordable and nice to deal with. This way we Photographer types can concentrate on what we are best at, and that is taking photographs :-)

Anyway best of luck with the Photography.

Max

Before hiring a web designer, you must have a very clear and precise idea how your site should function and look like. Then view the candidates' designs and make sure that they don't have these common, fundamental and obvious mistakes:

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13890

Designing a web site is very similar to taking a photograph, in a way. Many can do it, but few are really good.

Thx Robert...I added a few deliverables to my list after reading thru your link.

You are so right...many can do it...few are really good...applies to so many things!

Like everything in life, there are pros and cons involved, no matter what web site design I

end up with...compromises will no doubt be made. I just need to be very clear on what is

a "need to have" vs. a "nice to have" and what my priorities are.

Thanks for making me thing harder. It will result in a better site.

• 3 weeks later...

Make sure the designer you choose knows how to bring in traffic from search engines by optimizing with the right TEXT, and plenty of it.

A great "looking" Web site, that does NOT get much search engine traffic, will not bring you sales.

People search for strings of text, if your site does not have those strings,...

The right "alt text" tags on images is very important.

I've been publishing Web pages since 97 and they mostly look like crap from a design standpoint, they do however, get lots of traffic and I've sold rights to lots of images.

http://www.saugus.net/Photos/

Do a search for the type of work you plan to market. See what comes up. It's doubtful they will be simple pages with pictures only and no text.

Good luck, J.