I just returned from vacation and noticed my NEC FP1375x (six years old) output was looking pale. I ran a

couple of Monaco Optics calibrations but started coming up with very, very dark screens. Flipping over to

my mac on the same display looked OK if pale again.

Power-cycling the monitor resulted in the red gun being noticeably off-target horizontally on both the PC

and mac output. I fear that the device is toast - am I right?

A long time of being off (4+weeks) might cause a weak electrode in the CRT to not produce as well as it was resulting in the weak washed out picture. Convergence is controlled via the deflection yoke position and deflection magnets mounted on the neck of the CRT. A sudden shift in the convergance of a color suggest that there is a weakness in the Horizional deflection section. Weak display/picture may improve after the display/CRT has been on for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Repair cost will most likely exceede replacement cost. And my 5~6 year old Sony Multiscan E100 is just starting to show a weak display when turned on and is normal after 5 minutes and is usually on for 4 to 8 hours a day since new, no screen saver and using standby the last 2 years.