What don't I get about the preference for AS heads?

thomas_janik

I've tried a few tripod heads: Bogen, Benro, Acratech and Gitzo. Among my

cameras is a Pentax 67 with a 500mm lens; the lens and camera place high

demands on a head. I've had a Gitzo 1376 with QR on a 3 series Gitzo tripod

for some time; it holds the Pentax very well; the large knob is easy to

tighten; there is a small amount of creep; the QR plates are a bit clunky, but

the camera or lens are easy and safe to mount and remove with Gitzo's lever

system. I have a smaller Gitzo tripod that has the Acratech. I find the Arca-

Swiss plates much more difficult to use: the camera cannot be mounted from

above; the little knob is a pain to tighten; if the plate is not parallel to

the clamp, the camera is in danger of falling off. I would like to simplify

and use one QR system, but I am hesitant to abandon the Gitzo. Everything I

read tells be the AS plates are the standard that everyone prefers and I am on

the verge of getting a Markins or Arca- Swiss Z1 to replace the 1376M; yet I

seem more comfortable with the Gitzo and am considering a 2 series Gitzo to

replace the Acratech. Is there something I just don't get about the AS

system? Is there a head that give me the security of the Gitzo without the

bulk?

Thanks for any advice.

Most of the Arca-Swiss camera plates are designed to fit a specific camera model and offer an almost unnoticeable but VERY significant Anti-Twist feature. I've converted to the Arca-Swiss heads and quick-release system since the 80's with no regret.

If you are comfortable and happy with the Gitzo quick release systems already, I am not sure if you "have to" switch at all.

With Aloha,

Clarence

C Lau mentioned the most important feature of the AS system. For all other QR platforms there is only one or at most two different sizes/styles of plates available. For AS system there are plates designed for each camera body, whether small or medium format, and for several lenses as well. The plate does not turn or twist and locks very solidly onto the tripod. I have a 5 series Gitzo head, probably similar to yours, and fitted an AS platform with two screws (so it does not twist) on top of that. Works well with my Pentax 67 and the 300mm lens I have, even with an extender. The lens has a tripod leg and I have a custom fitted plate at the bottom of that leg. Some other quick release system may be marginally faster, but no other system is as comprehensive and as secure when fitted properly, across a wide range of cameras and lenses.

If your current system worked for you, why buy a second one that wasn't compatible?

However, I don't understand this sentence: "I find the Arca- Swiss plates much more difficult to use: the camera cannot be mounted from above; the little knob is a pain to tighten; if the plate is not parallel to the clamp, the camera is in danger of falling off."

You can mount the camera from above, if the jaws of the AS quick release are opened wide enough.

Yes the plate must be parallel to the clamp, that is a design requirement. The dovetails on both sides of the plate are held tightly by the clamp...

Yes the knob is a little slower than a lever but once you get used to it, you won't notice. Also there are now AS QR systems with lever releases if you prefer that.

Most of the newer AS systems have catches to prevent a semi-loose plate from sliding all the way out of the clamp.