Strongest Drop In ND Filter ?

richard_clark8

I am currently using the Lee Filters system which although pricy is very good

indeed. I am after something in the region of a 10 Stop ND Filter. I know B+W

do a 77mm screw in but ideally I'd like the flexibility of a drop in that would

work with my Lee setup. Does anyone know of anything at all ?

With a 10 Stop being so dark I'd like the option of sliding it up and down when

composing as they are very hard to compose through. I'm aware of doubling and

tripling up but by doing so I lose sharpness and gain dusts etc.

Cheers

PS I can't always be where I need to at the time I need to and this will allow

me to long expose in brighter light. ;)

Hi Richard,

The reason you won't see anything stronger than 0.9 in quality resin filters from Lee and other companies is that the dye starts to separate and become uneven when they are dipped for too long. I'd imagine cheaper polyester is all you can get.

Anyway 4 Lee filters on your shot isn't going to wreck your image quality - I regularly use 3 at a time. The effect of dust is 'overrated' for want of a better word.

Anyway, what on earth do you want a 10 stop nd for? Or maybe it's not on earth lol...

regards Mark

<a href="http://www.markdentonphotographic.co.uk">www.markdentonphotographic.co.uk</a>

I keep getting asked why I need one. :) I am experimenting with a variety of coastal long exposure effects and time constraints mean I can't always be there for the right light. I'd like the option of slowing things down in brighter light and also trying some very long exposures for cloud effects and the like.

Thanks for the heads up on how they are produced as it goes a long way to explaining why this niche market (i.e. just me )hasn't really been covered other than by the screw in types. I've seen this evening they do an ND 100, ND 400 and rumoured ND 1000. The 400 lengthens exposure by 400x. Drastic but possibly fun, the stronger stuff appears only to be for astrology purposes.

Some really super stuff on your website.

The Hoya ND400 is 9 stops, so I don't think it's 400 x. Or is that the same thing? I can't do that math right now :-).

Gotta go look for some polyester filters. How are those mounted? do they fit in specific holders?

allan