What is the best camera bag for photojournalistic style wedding photography?

cimino55

Hello,

I've been shooting weddings for the past 3 years, and there are many things to learn. I find Photo.net

as an invaluable resource for technical questions. I came from international location travel photography

and love the suspense and the thrill I get from shooting weddings. Here is the problem I have...

I pretty much am going to do the next wedding with the following two lenses: Canon EF 85mm F1.2 L

II, and a Canon EF 24-70 F2.8L, and a Canon 5D. I don't have extra bodies, yet. What bag would you use

for this two lens setup. I'll have my camera in hand, the whole time. I just want to be able to switch back

and forth between the two lenses. I also happen to have the best assistant ever, who shares passion for

photography as well. How would you approach this?

The bag would probably need to hold memory cards, a Canon 550 EX II Flash, and a small notepad 3 x

5". I don't have a 70-200mm F2.8 IS USM or anything long like that, just that monster 85mm F1.2L II.

Thanks for all your help...

Regards,

Adam Cimino

I'd put my money towards a backup camera and keep your current system of toting things around.

The backup camera is of much greater importance to the Customer which is, of course, your highest priority. :-)

Tamrac has a system like you are talking about, that I have seen used by a much better wedding photographer then I. Each peace it bought separately. You start out with the wast beat, then if you have two lens, you order one lens case ( one's on your camera the others in the case). You need filters, order a filter case. Different filter cases will hold a different amount of filters.

If it's a made for a camera, Tamrac (and I am sure there are other manufacturers beside Tamrac) makes a pouch for it that will fit this belt. I order a belt, lens and filter case and I think is was less the $60.00 at the most.

<i>"I am looking into getting a 1DS MKII when it's tax time."</i>

<p>No, don't wait until tax time. Get yourself a second 5D before your next wedding, and test it first before taking it to the gig. To show up to a paid, non-repeatable assignment with only one camera is extremely irresponsible and unprofessional.</p>

...and if you refuse to listen, at least bring a tube of glue with you... just in case <a href="http://www.flickr.com/groups/canondslr/discuss/72157594535503338/" target="_blank">this</a>, <a href="http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/544016/0" target="_blank">this</a>, or <a href="http://www.lightstalkers.org/canon_5d_mirror_falls_off" target="_blank">this</a> happens (among many other possibilities).

I use a belt system/pouches at the moment. It carries, extra lenses (usually a fish and a 24 or 35 or 24-105), cf cards (about 16 of them), batteries for flash and camera, remote release, st-e2, and on occasion a P&S (don't tell anyone about that bit, ha).

The other bag I like when out and about is the lowepro slingshot AW100, AW200 and AW300 (size will be dictated by your needs).

Best, D.

"To show up to a paid, non-repeatable assignment with only one camera is extremely irresponsible and unprofessional."

I really have to second the Fang on this one. Remember that the important thing is to get a product to the customer. Your comfort is, in relation to this, irrelevant. And if you do take this advice, get into the habit of using each camera for alternate shots. Flash cards have been known to fail (as has film processing).

For shoulder bags, I tend to like a smaller, shallower bag with perhaps space for two large lenses with hoods on in the interior space and lots of straps on the outside of the bag to hang accessory lens cases or pockets. This is so that one can change the bag according to the gear one needs, which can change over time. You can make the bag smaller/slimmer and bigger with more capacity just by switching the cases/pockets around. I like the Lowepro bags with the slip lock system (they are now called Stealth Reporter). If you keep the bag on you at all times, the memory card holder can stay on the bag, but if you put the bag down, etc., I'd put the memory card holder on my person. Can never be too careful with those.

I have to agree with Don Hill on this one. The Billingham Hadley Pro would be great for your set up. I use a 24-70L a 580EX and a 50mm 1.4 most of the time and they all go into the bag. The 5d is carried on the neck. If i need the 70-200IS L it will also fit in the bag. No problems. Jessica Claire makes the ShootSac but somehow i think it's kind of just a neoprene messenger bag. The Hadley Pro is much much sturdier and the insert is removable allowing you to also use it as a briefcase.

I actually have 2 Hadley Pro's. One for the assistant and one for me. Oh yeah, the great thing about Billingham...(and Domke too)...is that it looks better with age. My friend actually offered to buy my old Hadley Pro 'cos it looks so seasoned.

>>> What bag would you use for this two lens setup. I'll have my camera in hand, the whole time. I just want to be able to switch back and forth between the two lenses. The bag would need to hold memory cards, a Canon 550 EX II Flash, and a small notepad 3 x 5". <<<

With the kit described I would not carry / use a bag, I would have the 550EX on the 5D and carry the unused lens in my RH jacket / suit pocket. (My O/S pockets have a button sewn to secure.) The note pad in shirt or inside jacket pocket and memory cards in pant`s pocket.

However, if there must be a bag, I also suggest an hip pack, Lowepro is what I have, anmd I have been happy with it: the medium one would suffice, I think.

>>> I also happen to have the best assistant ever, who shares passion for photography as well. How would you approach this? <<<

I do not exactly understand this part of the question, but in light of your original post: viz ` I don't have extra bodies, yet`, I would fully utilize your assistant, firstly, by ensuring they bring at least one camera and one flash unit, if possible a Canon DSLR.

WW