Monolights

I have a 2 part question that I am sure has been asked before. First, I am

wanting to purchase an inexpensive introductory studio set. I want strobes as

opposed to hot lights, with soft boxes. I am considering Elinchrome or Aline

Bees. Second, I have not used this type of equipment so I am not familiar with

the operation of such. How are these lights set for shooting? Obviously they

are not like my Nikon i-ttl SB800, so how does a general set up of studio

lighting work? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

they are manually controlled : you set the power output.

Have you seen the Alien Bees to D-Light comparison?

http://www.alienbees.com/compare.html

Despite the fact that is being done by Alien Bees founder PAul Buff, the methodology looks reasonably sound to me i nthat the he lays outthe parameters so that the tests can be duplicated by other s and confirmed or disproved.

Additionally I've got Elinchrom heads and have had a couple of their monolights but I haven't used or own alien bees standard monolights (I have the ABR800) . As others have pointed out: if you are using softboxes the Elinchrom attachment system leaves something to be desired. I n this area I much prefer the Balcar based system that Alien Bees uses and also the Broncolor and Profoto mounting attachment systems.

James: Also take a little time to evaluate what it costs to replace modeling lights and flash tubes in each system. Living with the ABs is less expensive, both in terms of replaceable parts, and in terms of viable accessories (light modifiers, etc). You don't mention the camera you're using, but since you reference iTTL, I presume you're shooting a recent model Nikon DSLR. Though you'll have to manual on the exposure settings (both on the camera AND on the strobe power settings) you'll quickly find that the camera and its histogram are pretty good and showing you how you're doing as you work. It's actually pretty amazing how quickly you'll learn to look at your subject and know how to set both the lights and the camera within a stop of or two of just right in very short order.

Two excellant answers. Ellis is a seasoned pro.

Start with one light, and learn to shoot with it, to expose for it as your main light. Once

you've learned to do that -- preferably before she files for divorce -- you can add in the

fill, or the hair light. Just don't try them all at once.