Erwin: "Photography does not exist anymore!"

jtdnyc

>>> I choose not to publish my photos on the web.

And I choose not to take your opinions at face value. And I'm not going to give you my

address. Simple.

>>> ... you feel qualified to comment on matters concerning Leica.

I don't. I am qualified to to talk about matters of digital photography and photography in

general. Which I do. That's what this thread is about.

>>> in which you suggest, bizarrely, that Leica owners keep their equipment in

aquariums.

There you go again, relying on exageration to bolster your weak arguments. A huge

generalization which I did not make. But hardly bizarre. Was in response to differentiating

camera owners and photographers. And Larry wondering why nikon and canon owners

don't get singled out. To which I replied there's few of those owners who keep their cams

in wood presentation boxes. glass cases, etc, and ... aquariums. Which Jay, everyone's

Leica hero here,

claimed he did. Now, was it really that difficult to understand? Seems everyone else got

it...

>>> Have you ever considered buying a Leica and joining in the fun

Why? The cam I have works fine.

www.citysnaps.net

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think EP misses the bigger picture in that Creation is not dead. Photography is nothing without creativity. I don;t know how one can "rearrange pixels to a digital file" but I have seen lot's of montages either from film prints or digital artists. Maybe they don't have the traditional photography in mind? who knows.

I seriously think EP is having a hard time accepting the fact that everything is easier now. He just can't stand that.

>>> Have you ever considered buying a Leica and joining in the fun

>Why? The cam I have works fine. <

Strange argument, coming from you, Brad, as it parallels the argument of film shooters who don't want to give digital a try.

>>>> Strange argument, coming from you, Brad, as it parallels the argument of film

shooters who don't want to give digital a try.

It's not an argument - just a statement. I've no particular desire to try a contax, rollie, or

alpa, either. I guess you'd find that equally bizarre.

Curious, why do you need to have film shooters give digital a try?

www.citysnaps.net

<It's not an argument - just a statement. I've no particular desire to try a contax, rollie, or alpa, either. I guess you'd find that equally bizarre.>

I'd find it equally bizarre if you also hung out on Contax, Rollei and Alpa forums to the extent you do here and didn't try those cameras either.

<Curious, why do you need to have film shooters give digital a try?>

Not sure what you mean. I don't need to have anyone try anything...though most film shooters I know are sufficiently openminded that they are watching digital developments closely.

A couple of websights for fun. Not related to any post or topic in particular. But I believe this shows that there are different and valid methods to take a picture. Both websights come from Rangefinder.com

The first is traditional portrait photography

http://www.rangefindermag.com/magazine/Jul07/72.pdf

The second is digital photography.

http://www.rangefindermag.com/magazine/Jul07/148.pdf

<i>The first is traditional portrait photography</i><p>Wow, is that stuff ever stiff, overly formal,. and boring. Good thing I can still go to see Avedon's work. Or Lauren Greenfield's, although it's a bit more documentary. <p><i>The second is digital photography</i><p>That's boring too, although it's not stiff or formal at all. I guess it proves that photography can be boring regardless of the medium, but I'm not sure these links were necessary to prove that.

I choose not to publish my photos on the web.

Why not? methinks you might be a scardy custard,Jonathan;) Lots of folks talk a lot,but without some work to look at, how can the wheat be sorted from the chaff?

Have you ever considered buying a Leica and joining in the fun, instead of taking potshots at us from the sidelines?

I'm sure the fun of photography is not just about using a Leica. Why should Brad not have a point of view, on this forum or any other? Because you personnelly don't agree with his thoughts,why do you feel the need to have him go elsewhere? You claim to be a Leica user but where is your body of work? are you just reading mags?

Brad has a serious body of work; i for one like to listen to what he has to say, on any subject about photography. This clear off attitude because you don't have a Leica mate, and disagree with me is a worry, Jonathan.

Peter A.

Nice cam,mate. Love to fiddle with all those knobs and stuff. But, my M2 is the word, your Alpha is just a messenger,mate;) And my Leica is nice and silver shiny.

So there.

Arthur, i'm sure all those new cell phone photographers will improve their techniques as they move on. And perhaps the world of photography will be a better place with their new thoughts and ideas...

Not just about nice portraits and the usual sameness....and look everyone how sharp my photo is and can you see the glow.

Just a few thoughts.

Allen, if you're sincerely concerned about whether I have a body work, I'll make you the same offer I made Brad (which he repeatedly ignored and ultimately declined): say the word, and I'll e-mail you some shots.

As far as Brad's opinions on photography, I'm happy to read them. It's his put-downs of Leica phtographers that I find tedious. I think his attitude would be more congenial if he tried the equipment that now seems to spark his ire.

The oddity here is that someone who has nothing good to say about Leica should choose the Leica Forum as the venue for dispensing his pearls of wisdom.

On a personal note, we've been reading here about all the flooding going on in Britain. Have you been keeping dry?

Jonathon, you do the picked-on victim thing very well - but it is getting, as Allen would say,

sad.

Perhaps you should just come to grips and deal with the frustration of people not doing what

you want them to do.

www.citysnaps.net

say the word, and I'll e-mail you some shots.

Please do, i enjoy looking at folks work. Why is is it such a problem for you to display a small JPEG on the internet?

nothing good to say about Leica should choose the Leica Forum

He has said some good things about some of my photos taken with a Leica,and other folks. I think he challenges mis-information,that's all. Why does his opinion bother you so much?surely folks can make their own mind up. If you want to be a defender of the faith, make sure you are getting payed for,don't give free rides;)

I'm in Manchester at the moment,and it always rains in Manchester,so i have not really noticed any difference.

<aquariums. Which Jay, everyone's Leica hero here, claimed he did. Now, was it really that difficult to understand?>

For the benefit of recent members, I should point out that Jay was hardly "everyone's Leica hero." In fact, though knowledgeable, he was eventually banned for his interaction with other participants. He did, however, have a wicked sense of humor and claimed that he stored his kit in an aquarium to protect it from humidity. Perhaps the Photo.net software can be adjusted so that jokes automatically get a smiley, as an aid to those bereft of humor.

Dear Allen<p> I agree with your observations re the poor treatment that Brad gets from some of these non photographer commentators - as for your thoughts on my <i>"Alpa"</i> it is a Zen thing man - for those who dont even need a focusing device let alone a meter, for those that are one with the light that shines - for those that have achieved a different state of mind and soul ( yes lotsa Vodka helps) - the book is coming and you can write the foreword if you like.

Just for you ,Petey.

Dawn was slowly rising in the Australian bush the sounds of life were faintly stirring. The first hesitant ray flinkered across the vista, finally settling

on a shiny black Alpha, which slowly arched it's back,and gently purred to welcome in the new dawn. Petey,smiled a secret smile,his white gloved hand gentle stroking the Alpha.

Live was good,just Petey and his Alpha and a new day, with the photo oportunities it would bring.

Trev,stood by and old cactus which he had grown from a small seedling, hesitantly fondling a small ps in his pocket. He thought if he could be Petey ,and have a shiny Alpha stood by his side. In his musings he glanced at the cactus with the special message from the god Mangar-kunjer-kunja. It was all Greek to him, but he was sure there was a special message...<div>00M4D5-37736084.jpg.19039167987c88a483ef78557b318084.jpg</div>

Unless I missed something, isn't photography about image making? Don't digital cameras make images? So.................?

There will always be traditionalists and when it becomes extreme they are sometimes called "Luddites" Sorry Erwin but I think you are way wrong on this one.

No Pete. It would seem it is all about dogma.

Film and light in magical union - with the artist as midwife - make beautiful photographs.

But digital cameras - with their soulless sensors - can only make a glorified barcode and (no matter how talented) the photographer can only ever be a 'computer operator' capable of 'output' not the birth of a true artistic expression.

:-)