New ZEISS lenses for K-bayonet mounts!

wolf_rainer_schmalfuss

I'm off by $50, more like $1390 with devalued dollars vs euros at $1.39 per euro plus delivery.

I have seen some Pentax limited film glass offered in leica mounts. Don't know if pentax made these or if they were converted to leica mounts. But if leica shooters like limited glass on their Leica bodies then maybe Pentax Limited are a better choice.

These are made for basic K Mount. Not a K-A or K-FA mount either. Nikon and Pentax have almost identical film plane distance so this wasn't a great undertaking for Zeiss to change the mount and aperture lever function.

Lindy, there was just the one Pentax Limited, the 43mm, made in Leica 39mm thread mount, a limited run of 2000 of these (800 silver, 1200 black). Rumored that Pentax contracted with Cosina to supply the RF barrels, perhaps untrue. Also said to be marketed only on the Japan domestic market. I have a black one used mostly on a Minolta CLE, just as great a lens in this form as in the original Pentax mount.

Unfortunate the new Zeiss-K offerings aren't KA mount...

If some of you people actually read the Zeiss website link before rushing as usual to comment negatively you would have seen the photo of the K-mount lens with A button at centre (ZF left and ZS right) and read this part of the press release:

The manually focused ZEISS SLR lenses (with their transmission elements) for the K bayonet fulfill the SMC-A standard and thus permit the utilization of the shutter priority, aperture priority and programmed auto exposure on all camera models with these features.

They supplied a photo and said it in the text. Why the confusion?

I can't find the K-A text in either link Dan and Rob supplied. But I do see the picture showing an "A" aperture ring.

So its K-A and not simple K Mount. I stand corrected.

So is a 1,000 euros ($1,400 US$) a great deal for this 85mm 1.4 Zeiss/Cosina lens? The manual focus 85mm 1.4 Pentax usually sells for up to $1,000 dollars in near mint and a couple hundred less if somewhat used. The autofocus pentax version never tops $1,400 and usually lands in the $1,200 area.

The Nikon AIs mount Zeiss ZF 84mm / f1.4 currently sells for $984 brand new at popflash.com I would be stunned if the Pentax K-A mount version is any different in price. Whether this is worth it or not compared to the Pentax version is up to the individual. I will say though that the new Zeiss 100mm / f2 macro looks like a stunning lens, if the (measured) MTF curves are anything to go by. Probably a bargain at $1500 or so, given what the Arri versions go for (10s of thousands of dollars). The 25mm /f2.8 lens also looks very interesting, since Pentax is no longer producing a prime in this focal length that can cover the entire 35mm film area.

Cosina is producing these Zeiss products under license, just as Kyocera did for years with Contax products. Cosina also produces the Voigtlander named products available for both Leica M and screw mounts (as well as the recently discontinued SL series for Nikon, Pentax, and other mounts). Most if not all of their Voigtlander branded lens products are very good to excellent - and always a bargain when price is accounted for. I'm happy to see these Zeiss lenses produced for K mount, but sad to see the not really equivalent Voigtlander SL lenses discontinued.

• 1 year later...

Is there a consensus on how the (relatively) new Zeiss 85 f/1.4 ZK Planar T* Manual focus which goes for about

$1000, compares to the Pentax FA* 85 f/1.4 It seems it could be a good substitute and cheaper than any used

Pentax FA* 85 f/1.4 Only caveat would be lack of autofocus, but depending on the use that might not be a problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...