Client dissapointed with Images, any advice welcome please:

christi_k

If your original images were taken in RAW, it's likely there is a lot more detail in that

background, You can create two RAW versions of the same image and layer them using a

luminosity mask in Photoshop, then dodge and burn selected areas to get the balance you

want. This can work beautifully.

Regarding the brides other complaints, it's always hard to hear criticism. But it's an

important lesson. You were hired based on a certain level of expectation and reputation

of your skills as a wedding photographer. That is the standard which you must hold

yourself too, and hopefully drives you to find a way to get the excellent shots regardless of

the circumstances. If you are doing your best to accomplish that - and only you know if

you are - then you can sleep well at night.

All you need do is courteously explain why you did what you did, based on your professional experience, just as you've already explained some of it to us.

There's a flip side to customer complaints like this. Say you did shoot with the sun in their faces (which most pros know is the amateur thing to do unless you're going for the effect). She'd be complaining that the sun was in everyone's faces and everyone is squinting in the photos and how uncomfortable you made everyone, wouldn't she? But the way you shot it, the background is brilliant and the focus is just soft enough to compliment everyone's features instead of being brutally harsh with deep shadows as it would be otherwise if you took it the way she suggests.

Backs of heads showing from those in attendance watching the toast? That's because they're all facing that direction, no? That's how it went down in reality. If you swung around and shot it so as to show all their faces, it would be the back of the guy giving the toast that she'd be complaining about. But that sea of heads adds depth to the image, as well as context.

You know what I think this is? She has an idea in mind of how her pictures should look and of course reality is different than her expectations, you can only shoot what you're given and in those circumstances, and so she's disappointed. Her mind can imagine far beyond the parameters of reality, so when she envisions that the shots could've been taken from another spot and what they would then look like, she's only imagining so, she hasn't encountered whatever obstacles or circumstances that may have made that angle not such a great shot. For example, the mic might block the speaker's face. Or it may show some guy watching evidently bored out of his mind. Or the videographer's light may be reflecting into your lens at that spot, or...

Photography is terribly subjective and when she showed those photos to others, she probably made a face and said "I don't like my pictures, what do you think?" and most of her friends picked up on that mood and went along with it rather than defy her and said "hmmmm. yeah. I don't like this one, but this one's sort of nice, maybe...", but she doesn't hear that last part because her mind's made up that she doesn't like them and she's just looking for validation. Sounds like her mom's probably also adding fuel to the fire. Parents can influence their kids' opinions, being their lifetime authority figures.

That's one theory. Another would be you charged cheap and deep down she figures you can't be that good if you charge so low so there's got to be something amiss with the pictures, and dang it, she's gonna find out what that may be!

Another theory is that what it's really about is her dissatisfaction with life in general. She's not happy with herself. She doesn't love the guy she married. The photographs are just proxy for her to lay blame at and vent. But I'm not a shrink, I just photograph them when they get married.

"You are all hot to make excuses for photos you haven't seen. Interesting."

And some don't even know a joke when they see one, even more interesting considering you need a heckuva sense of humor in this trade. Sorry it was lost on you.

I was speaking to the point that the bride, in complaining, has expectations that are probably not realistic. Here me out. Pretend I may actually know what I'm talking about.

My experience is that when brides speak in terms of "I don't understand why the photographer didn't take the picture from the other side of the room" stuff, that they are speaking from their presuppositions; they weren't there taking the picture and they are Monday morning quarterbacking. They're right, in that they don't understand.

That's why Christi should explain it to them. Her explanations sound right to me. Sounds like she thought about what she was doing at the time and it's reflected in her work. It's a competent job; from the example she provided, looks like she considered the background and even how to group the subjects in a decent composition and a nice exposure. That's way more than Aunt Martha does when she says "okay everybody, stand closer together!"

So does it mean her photos really stink just because the bride's unhappy? That's not a given.

Take for example that the bride maintains that the sun should've been in the foreground. If I were to take photos as directed by some clients, they would like the clients took them. They'd also complain that the sun's in their eyes and that there's very contrasty dark shadows on their faces and blown out highlights... well you know all that. But the bride doesn't know the consequences of shooting with the sun and so she thinks what she thinks because she doesn't know better.

"Gee, why couldn't we take pictures there under that tree instead?" she may state. "Oh because, then I'd have mottled shading on everyone, that's why". "Well, gee, how come we didn't take pictures facing east?" "Because the bright orange maintenance truck was parked there and would've shown up in the background". This can go on ad infinitum.

It doesn't mean the photography's terrible.

I remember Monte going on about how he loves to let the backgrounds over-expose because it adds so much light and sparkle and pop to the backgrounds. What is this bride complaining about then except for a difference in taste, not in photographic ability?

So this bride would disagree with Monte. Disagree with the experienced expert. That's her privilege, but it doesn't mean Monte's photos suck.

I recall Monte disagreeing with another noted photographer when it came to jurying someone else's photo in a show. It's all subjective.

Personally, I think the steak needed a little bit more seasoning at her dinner, and the band could've been a bit tighter, the limo drove a bit too slow for my taste and the flowers, I think a few more buds in each bouquet would've been better. We can always find something to complain about. But it doesn't mean these items were executed poorly.

Photography is subjective, and as long as the photographer did a competent job, that's all you can ask for. If you want the photographer to suddenly accumulate more skills and talent than what you've seen in his portfolio, that's not going to happen. She claims that his work isn't the same as what she shows, but I'd tend to doubt that's truly the case, certainly the photographer disagrees... in fact just as it's unreasonable to think that a photographer will suddenly develop a leap in their talents overnight, so it is just as unreasonable to think that, all of a sudden, just for this wedding, that her talents and skills plunged way below her standards and that, just like that, she forgot what there is to know about obtaining good quality images for just during the hours the wedding took place.

It's the bride's perception regarding what her pictures should look like that's at work here. She has in mind something else, a different idea of what they should look like. She's an unhappy bride because the vision she had in her mind was not met, but you leap to that the cause is that the photos are "terrible". I'm saying there's usually more to this than that connection.

I wanted to thank everyone for their wonderful responses and criticisms as well. It is great to hear feedback from so many fantastic photographers. I especially want to thank Anne Almasy for her example e-mail, that was very nice of you. I also loved what G.E. Masana said as it is, to me, very true.

I would like to clear up the price as for some reason my pound symbol kept showing as a question mark. She paid in UK pounds so it was still very low priced, but not as bad as could be ;) .

The image I used as an example was only one of the very many she received uncropped (as in her finest collection I have a similiar one with all looking at the camera and it is cropped. As the bride would see most of her images, I felt that it was best to just choose one random group one rather than pick out "the best".

I will also definately take the advice of calibrating my monitor as in the move maybe something did go awry with my eye one and its not working proper :(, I will check on my laptop.

I have posted a few images to this gallery for review:

http://christik.smugmug.com/gallery/3177826#174843073

Two are confetti images (as only 2 women and 1 girl were doing so whilst I was getting everyone together for the groups--and assuring grandma she would be in the photos too as she was sad and stuck to the side with a bad hip which wasn't nice of everyone.

Regarding confetti as well, David Shilling, in the UK they sadly don't always do confetti as much as in the States. It is sometimes just a random act of them remembering. In the UK alot of the registry weddings are conducted at the venue rather than a church or office. I can understand how it would seem crazy too miss such an event at home, but its not always an occurence here.

Again, thank you to everyone, I am indeed very grateful and appreciative :) ,

Christi

The images you just posted are fine, but they aren't the ones the bride is complaining about unless the group formal is one (doesn't appear to be from her e-mail), and perhaps the 3 greeting shots are of the receiving line (?)--although it almost doesn't matter what we think. It matters what she thinks, so again, unless you can take each complaint and give adequate (to her) explanation, you still have a customer service/satisfaction problem, even if she is being overly picky. The question is, if you cannot satisfy her by explanation, do you try to make her happier by giving her something? If not, are you OK about her somewhat negative opinion of your work? If so, have you considered how her word of mouth might affect you? If you actually want opinions about the specific images she is complaining about, you should post them, and your website address.

Sorry--I see the confetti images now and the greeting shot must be from the receiving line. However, examples of the other complaints aren't present since the group shot complaint doesn't fit the formal shown unless she is referring to the eye socket shadows.

I took a look at your gallery and you have some very beautiful photos there. I especially like the B/W portrait of the bride and the color photo of the couple kissing. Did you use any filters? In the kissing photo there is a mild soft glow to it. I like that very much. What I like about digital is that I can control that without filters. Did you notice the guy on the left who stuck out his tongue in the large group shot? Maybe the bride should get her guests under control! ;) Color looks Ok to me. I don't know how to calibrate my laptop but it looks fine. I think the Bride is looking for a refund. Don't do it. Those are good. Please post a few more. Best to you.

Hi Christi, The client must have been expecting mother teresa herself to fly down from heaven and paint each moment by hand, because your photos are beautiful and she has no room to complain. Do NOT give a refund and just ignore their nasty letter. I think your images alone from that wedding will get you other jobs with clients who will love your work so dont let it get to you. And raise your prices up get rid of that "introductery" price. If you cost more people will book you based on whether or not they like your work not based on your price being the lowest( and then your style ends up not meshing with theirs and they complain) If the rest look like the ones you have posted then the clients are crazy to complain.

Christi,

The 10 new photos you posted are really well done! Out of a whole wedding day if you made ~ 75 photos that resemble that...you've done your job.

Like another user said...stop charging so low now! You have a proven portfolio of work and can justify higher rates. Congrats!

Like I said from the start, these are lovely. :) If these are indicative of your other shots

from this wedding (and I have no reason to believe otherwise) then you absolutely did a

professional job.

It is sad that the bride did not receive what she THOUGHT she would receive, or (as G.E.

pointed out) what she somehow envisioned in her mind. But this does not mean that you

did anything wrong.

Respond to her clearly, concisely, and never apologize for anything more than the fact that

she's not happy.

Your work is fantastic. This too will pass. :)

I don't think one can dismiss the bride's complaints based on photographs that aren't the basis of the complaints. G.E. Masana is right--sometimes the bride does have unrealistic expectations. But this is not the case in every situation involving complaints. I agree that the images posted in the gallery are very nice--nothing wrong with them. I believe the bride did say some of the images were very nice. The fact that the majority of the images are good does not justify any lack (if it exists) in the images being complained about. Some of the issues seen clear--confetti shots were taken when the bride said they weren't, the shooting position during the speeches. However, we haven't seen the website portfolio, and haven't seen the images where claims of blurriness were made. Perhaps in the portfolio, outdoor formals had fill flash balanced with background exposure, and no eye socket shadows. Perhaps any receiving line images in the portfolio showed more faces. The image first posted seems soft to me--can't tell for sure, and the one groomsman's head does seem to be on the verge of flaring out on the edges. This is a matter of taste, but if the portfolio shows very different looking formals, I have to say the bride may have a point there, for instance. I would not send an e-mail apologizing for nothing other than the fact that the bride was unhappy without first objectively examining each complaint. Maybe most can be dismissed, but if there are any that have even a shred of possible justification, I would not blithely gloss over the bride's compliants. I think she would sense that immediately. Particularly since a little handholding and honest discussion could turn her opinion around 180 degrees. Given a choice between turning her away with an "I did nothing wrong" e-mail that does nothing to change her opinion, and an honest discussion of each complaint that could turn her opinion around, I'd opt for the latter.

• 2 weeks later...
the photo appears to magenta on my screen and the feet are cut off. either go for the full body or above the waist, nowhere in between. i tend to judge a good wedding photographer on the basis of a complete album rather than a single award winning photo (usually heavily photoshopped). this is the problem consumers face. i know award winning photographers who have had photos thrown back at them. brides want a good representation of the day.

• 3 years later...
<p>I am assuming you have posted an example of one of your better group shots? First thing that jumps at me is the missing feet! Then the over saturation, then then the overexposure. I can tell you had challenging lighting, but it would have taken a few seconds for you to have taken stock of the situation. My advice for what it is worth ? Never be scared to ask a group to 'wait' you will look more in control to the 'client' if they see you changing settings than you will look when they see the results had you not changed your settings. Dont be afraid of being slightly unpopular for five minutes by making them have another couple of shots taken, because even though they will whine at the time, they will be all over you when the weddings done and dusted, and the first question will be '' why didnt you just tell us you needed more time'' and your answer will be?</p>