Is the M645 worth it?

j._jesso

Hello all. I am new to this forum but after some reading have found there are

many knowledgable people here.

I am traditionally a 35mm film and slide photographer but have embraced digital

photograhy with my Minolta Maxxum 7D SLR.

I purchased a Mamiya M645 at a yard sale on Saturday for $30 CAD. It came with

an 80mm 2.8 Sekor C lens and a standard prism unit. It also has a 120 back.

The problem I have found with this camera is that the film does not advance

consistantly...ie. it may advance on the first frame but then after winding,

does not advance to the second frame...at least, according to the film counter.

Also, the cranking knob will sometimes go beyond cocking the shutter and spin

almost freely without fully cocking the shutter. Switching to the multiple

exposure setting, it will cock the shutter and fire every time.

I called a local camera shop here in Southern Ontario and they say they can fix

the camera, make any necessary adjustments, and lubricate all necessary points

for a little over $300 CAD.

I could get into using this camera for portraits or studio work, but I would

like some opinions on whether or not this camera worth the repair cost?

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Joe

Ontario, Canada<div>00LyU5-37610284.jpg.e0e39e83a4d199732eabd760c9d5b079.jpg</div>

Before you spend any money, make sure you are loding the 120 film insert correctly. Do a Google search and find the 645 manual that explains the correct loading procedure.

If you are loading the film insert correctly and you still have spacing issues, buy another 120 insert. I've have a couple of bad inserts that I just threw away and bought a few used ones cheaply on ebay.

Better yet is to borrow a known good insert and use it. If you have spacing issues with a known good insert then should you have the camera body serviced.

You got a great buy!

If the question is: are these good cameras , the answer is yes. If the question is: is it worth $300 American or Canadian to fix, the answer is no. Used, working cameras are selling for $100-200 USD.

It does sound like a loading or an insert problem. Are you sure you loaded the insert correctly? The small gears can also be damaged on the insert. You don't say if you have the instruction manual? Usually frame spacing is caused by something mechanical. If it's a camera internal issue, you've got a nice $30 paperweight.

At $100 a piece for working used bodies. It would be foolish to rebuild one. Especially since many of the "excellant conditioned" used cameras. Aren't former "pro" beat -ups, and will likely have a lot of life left in them.

Check the gears on the insert visually for any obvious things. Sometimes dust, dirt ,general crud, a film chip, or emulsion build up, can find it's way into mechanisms.

Although usually unrelated to frame spacing. I'd make sure you have a new 6 volt battery in the camera. Electronic shuttered cameras can be finnicky about low voltage.

Thanks for the quick responses.

I have downloaded thge PDF manual from Mamiya's website and have insured that I have installed the insert according to the manual. Looking at the 2 small gears on the side of the 120 insert shows little if any wear. But just to be on the safe side, I think I will pick up another insert just to make sure. I understand that there are 120 and 220 inserts...and the 220 has more exposures. Can I use either as a test for my film advance issue?

Joe

Just in case you haven't done so, make sure that that there is actually film in the insert when testing the film advance. Otherwise, the film advance crank will typically just spin (unless the lever is set to multiple exposure). I have the M645 1000s and nearly the full range of lenses. It's a great camera, especially at current prices.

I bought a 1000s new when they first came out. Had the film advance repaired twice under

warranty. After the second time, I had no more problems with it. It was a common problem

with the camera then, though. Other than that, it was a great camera with fine lenses.

""Last I checked e-bay they went for $600-800.00"

What was it that circus guy said about every minute?"

:D That's a good reason to be wary of ebay. KEH is far better (got my entire rig for $350 & it works perfectly).

To the OP, for $30 is certainly worth it. Even if the body turns out bad & you have to get another from KEH, you're still ahead with the lens & prism. Good buy!

Thanks for the responses. Certainly lots to consider. I have looked on Ebay at used bodies...but for now I have just ordered another film back to try out. My brother-in-law has a medium format camera and gave me 2 rolls of film to try. One roll is ruined so I have been using it to test the film advance. The other roll is still sealed. I didn't want to jump right into a good roll of film until I could be certain that it will feed properly.

Another question I have about this camera...There is no place to set the ASA. I know that on the AE prisms there's an ASA setting but mine does not have that. I have a Sekonic L508 meter and can determine the exposure with any film speed...but without using the meter, how does the camera recognise the film speed?

For $30 your camera looks in great condition, so does the lens. I owned a used 645 about 4 years ago and had the problem you mentioned with advancing the film ever since I purchased it.

I since "moved up ?" to the 645 1000s that doesn't have this problem at all, at least not yet. My 645's problem kept getting worse until finally the film winding mechanism just gave out. Oh well, It was a little disheartening to find blank frames in between all the others frames anyway, but the pictures that did come out were great.

I'm glad you are only thinking about using this camera for Studio work. It is also great for scenics and outside portraits on a tripod. Otherwise it's mostly to heavy for anything else. I surely would not use it at a wedding.

As far as the camera recognizing the ISO, it doesn't, unless you have an AE prism. You have to use your light meter all the time ! Just set the light meter to the film that you are using. Cheers !

Personally I have never found this camera particularly heavy. I used it a lot in the 80's and early 90's when photographing canal restoration scenes in rural areas, which meant a lot of walking. It benefits from the attachment of the L shaped grip. It is not in the same league as the Mamiya RB 67 which is very very heavy and probably best confined to a studio on a tripod. I never used a tripod with the M645.

"how does the camera recognise the film speed?"

It doesn't. ;) This isn't a modern 35mm SLR, there is no coding on the film or any other way for the camera to know. Use your lightmeter to determine proper exposure, then set the camera manually. Without an AE prism the camera doesn't have anything to set that for anyway.

Oh, and as far as weight, my 20D+grip with a 24-70/2.8 lens is heavier than my 645Pro, WG401, prism, and 80mm lens. Forget about when the 70-200/2.8 is on there! The 645 is great for landscapes, tripod or not. No reason to confine it to the studio.