macbook pro - glossy or matte display?

what are most of you choosing for photo editing. i understand that neither

will be as good for critical editing as a desktop monitor. but those of you

with a macbook pro have had to choose one or the other, so which one and why?

i will be using it mainly for work that is unrelated to photo editing, but will

do some photo work as well.

thank you.

Yeah, most would choose matte.

I bought the glossy, though. My workspace is very evenly lit, and I use my MacBook Pro for watching dvd/avi as well as other stuff.

Besides, it's always connected to an external LCD monitor when I'm doing my photo/art work.

If you don't have a second monitor, go for the matte display.

On a side note, if you're serious about getting a MacBook Pro for photo editing, opt for the 7200 rpm hard drive option.

Cheerz!

Get what you like. I personally like the glossy screen that my girlfriend got on hers. It's much

nicer than any other glossy that I've seen and much sharper and easier on eyes when it comes

to text. Like you mentioned, perhaps it isn't ideal for photo editing, (but really, that whole

thing has been way over-hyped) however, you won't be making critical judgments on a laptop

screen regardless .

Well, I personally like the Matte finish, and feel it is more of a versatile screen, but now a day

their glossy screens are quite nice. It all depends on where you will be doing all your

editing... at home in a light controlled area, or anywhere else. I personally own the matte

finish.

The matte will give you more accurate color compared to matte paper or 4 color offset printing. The glossy will look better because it has a much higher contrast ratio and it will probably be closer to typical glossy photo printing. Knowing that whatever is going to work best for you is what you should get.

Is one easier than the other to color profile? i have an eye-one LT from greytag mcbeth. it seems that it shouldn't make a difference, but a search on this website produced some threads on some difficulty profiling the glossy screens.

• 3 weeks later...

Regarding calibration, I contacted ColorVision tech support to find out if the Spyder would

correctly calibrate the glossy monitor. They told me there is absolutely no problem, and that

their device calibrates the glossy and the matte MBP equally well, and they said the blacks on

both finishes will calibrate equally (and the difference in blacks is a fallacy). They said many

photographers choose the traditional matte to avoid reflections. The basically said either one

is equally valid for photo work, but ""the debate goes on" and implied that it's completely a

matter of personal taste.