Monitor for display in gallery

I'm interested in showing in showing several hundred images on a continuous play in a gallery setting.

As a technoklutz,I haven't a clue as to what I should be looking at. My preference is for a 40" LCD TV I

have seen in electonics stores. But of course I will be showing stills, so I am not sure if LCD TV's are

designed for that. Should I stay with a 30" monitor designed for computer connection or will the larger

screen TV work? Thanks!

It really depends on your needs/requirments with respect to viewing distance, image size,

and image resolution.

The Apple 30" display is 2560 x 1600 pixels. An LCD TV with HDMI/DVI input that can

display 1080p (direct pixel mapping, not scaled) is 1920 x 1080 pixels. So, with a 1080p

TV

you give up some resolution, but can go much larger in image size for greater viewing

distances. With large viewing distances, the resolution given up may be of little

consequence.

I drive a 46" Sony 1080p set using custom-written software and the images are stunning.

www.citysnaps.net

An interesting and timely question! I have a gallery showing in January of next year and was

thinking about doing this in addition to the prints that will be hanging in the gallery. In my

case, though, the images on the screen will be viewed from no more than eight or 10 feet. I

was also thinking of a 40" LCD TV, so would that degrade the images too much for those

viewing distances?

>>> I was also thinking of a 40" LCD TV, so would that degrade the images too much for

those viewing distances?

That's very subjective and only you can decide with respect to your expectations, but IMO,

your images should look great. You need to make sure

that the set can accept and display non-scaled a 1080p signal via an HDMI interface -

which can be driven with a computer DVI output. Your computer's

graphics driver also needs to support that resolution.

If you have a laptop, you might try taking it to a LCD TV retailer and ask if you can try

driving

a screen. The problem is, though, most LCD TVs in retail spaces have the color/contrast

jacked way

up in vivid mode to look punchy to snag people walking by.

www.citysnaps.net

Something else to consider, is that HDEF screens have a 16:9 aspect ratio - and while not

ideal for many photos, it is nice for displaying pairs of photos diptych-style, like in book

form. Looks pretty neat on a large panel...

www.citysnaps.net

>>> Good comments all. Re the 16:9 ratio, does anyone know if older format monitors

are

available?

There are some computer displays, but fewer are available - especially in larger sizes.

Which

is kind of unfortunate for gallery presentation applications. You're paying for pixels you

will

rarely (or never) use. Some that are available, have gone to low-cost TN type displays,

which are very responsive for gaming purposes, but pretty bad for photo presentation

applications. An example of that was the Samsung 204T which was a great 1600x1200

20" S-PVA type panel. But was discontinued last year for the much less expensive 204B;

also 1600x1200 pixels, but a TN panel with image quality far less than the 204T.

www.citysnaps.net