Sad demise of Photo.net

Jim and Chip, you guys must have missed the "most" in my post. "it certainly doesn't hold true for the entire set of photographers." Does anything hold true for an entire set of photographers? You guys can believe that the gap has narrowed, I don't. Sure there are "naturals" that are really good two weeks after they pick up there first camera, but it wouldn't matter if it was a film camera or digital camera, they're still good. I do believe that digital photography speeds up the learning curve, you can sure get better faster if you work at it.

interesting points being made here.

i'm an enthusiastic amateur with an average digital camera.

from what i see on the high street as a retailer myself, it does look like photography is the new rock and roll which is obviously going to affect the quality of images submitted.

but even to my inexperienced eye i can see that the majority of submissions here are streets ahead of what i can achieve.

it's kind of a double edged sword coming here.

I see skills that i aspire to and also at 36 i think "oh bugger, i'm never going to be that good."

still i'll keep clicking away and hopefully some of you will deign to give the odd critique.

For the most part these are decent photo forums. There is an occasional add thing where post that might be slightly in disagreement with some "favored members" keep disappearing... even when thos "favored members" are rude and offensive. Oh well, just part of the internet! In general, as I said, this is a decent place to discuss photographic topics.

I've received some fantastic help in setting up my E-6 & C-41 chemistry from Ron Mowrey when I was a newbie 3 years ago; so now when a 17 year old kid in England is buying his Jobo processor, I can give him the same help I received.

The only thing that pisses me off are the digital vs film wars: Life is too short after getting bogged down after the first few.

Along these lines, one thing I've found is that the discussion threads are more businesslike on the film side (such as in Film & Processing and Large Format) than on the digital side -- Probably due to the participating members being older &/or more patient. [bUT! There's a notable exception in the Leica forum!]

Just my 2 cents...

Yah; remember the good old days where one couldn't even mention a Canon LTM lens, Nikon LTM lens, or a Zorki on the Leica section without folks going into a tizzy fit; like the pureness of the Leica board was shattered. Yah; like the good old days where folks went into orbit when I mentioned that I had 2 gigs of ram; and most folks had 256megs or 512 for a dream machine. LLike the good old days where I posted a thread on scanning 616/116 negatives with the brand new Epson 2450 on the medium format board; and it got axed because "its not medium format; the epson 2450 is not availbale yet, and there is not interest in homemade film holders." Another attempt with the same info on the LF board got it axed because 116/616 is not LF. How about the good old days where ones email address was more exposed; and one got gobs of spam? Long ago folks worried more about pleasing clients insteasd of silly ratings; that dont pay your rent.

I have learned a great deal on this site.

I have also had a bit of fun here.

It is interesting to share ideas, debate the good and bad of anything relating to photography and photographers.

I have been coming here for 7 years.

Since purchasing a "cheap" not to mention "point and shoot" Nikon Coolpix s10 a couple months ago AND joining photo.net 6 months ago my knowledge of photography and personal satisfaction with this site has grown exponentially.

I have been shown (by lack of ratings or 3/3's) what pictures I have taken are really, really bad. On the other hand I have been very encouraged by comments and ratings on other photographs that make the Top Photos section. This is part of the learning process and to me, the whole point of this website.

To answer the original poster's point, sometimes casual amateurs can become serious amateur-pro's and there is nothing you can do about that either.

Leonard, "I have been shown (by lack of ratings or 3/3's) what pictures I have taken are really, really bad. On the other hand I have been very encouraged by comments and ratings on other photographs that make the Top Photos section. This is part of the learning process and to me, the whole point of this website." You have figured things out here better than most and I would bet that your image making will keep on improving.

BRILLIANT: Jim E.photo.net patron, Jul 12, 2007; 09:41 p.m.

I'm going to do my part to make it better by being less sarcastic and cynical. I think what your seeing is the gap narrowing between beginners and pros. Digital has leveled the playing field somewhat. Sort of like the saying "God made man, and Colt made him equal". Something like that. Good photography, has become ordinary. Now the challenge is to make great photographs.

I am a newbie. I've been taking photos for about 15 years with my little point-and-shoot, but recently decided to upgrade to an digital SLR because I've been getting photos published with electronic publications and the occasional print publication, but I'd like to improve my photography skills and be able to produce photographs of a higher calibre.

I was overwhelmed with choices when I started researching in prep for buying my first digital SLR and lens, and am extremely grateful to the members of Photo.net for taking the time to help me, answering my newbie questions.

I bought my camera a few days ago and am extremely happy with my choice so far, came back here to thank people but also to sign up for a paid membership. I came across this thread, and now I'm wondering if perhaps I should look for another community which is better suited for newbie SLR users like myself?

I'd very much appreciate an answer (without fear of offense) from someone who is a longtime Photo.net community member: is Photo.net geared mainly toward pros? I'm mainly looking for a community where I can learn from others but also, when I feel qualified, help others as well.

Advice appreciated. Again...I won't be offended if you suggest I go elsewhere! :-) I would just like to know before I pay for a membership.

Whatever the answers, I do thank you kindly for helping me with my camera-buying decision. Suddenly I'm excited about photography again (there was only so much I could do with my PowerShot, after all). There's so much to learn! And I get inspired just looking at all your photos, reading the comments and critiques.

With thanks,

Debbie

(Newbie DSLR owner)

Follow-up to my previous message: I've decided to sign up for a paid membership, partly because of encouragement I've received from some of the Photo.net old-timers, partly because I'm grateful for the useful advice I've received so far.

Thanks to those of you who have taken the time to help newbies like me. For my part, I will do my best to only post questions after I've combed Photo.net to see if the answer has already been posted somewhere. One of my goals is to become knowledgeable enough to return the favour someday, to help other beginners.

I had my first colour photo credits in the National Post this past weekend, which is a start (photos taken with my point-and-shoot, before I got my DSLR). :-)

Looking forward to getting to know some of you through your photos...

I've browsed the site on and off in the past, but only recently registered when it dawned on me that I want to do so much more than just take photos and either leave films undeveloped, or stash photos in a cupboard, or leave pictures just sitting on my hard drive! But I love what I'm reading - the helpful conversations that are tacked onto the end of the tutorials, the "no words" forum I love because of the way it's so easy jus to share some pictures. I'm not a pro, just a very keen amateur wanting to work toward pro and to make people happy when they see my work. And I really feel that with support from a bunch of good people, and with the inspiration that I feel here, then I can do that. I look at a title in the "no words" forum and then can't help looking around me and taking photos in my head to suit one of the titles. I was sitting at the hospital this morning waiting for my daughter, and I kept thinking of the title "going down" - and I found that I could stop looking around at all sorts of things below me. For me, I think the most important thing is inspiration and encouragement - and of course comments no pictures would be helpful. All of that seems to be here and I'm on the verge of sending off my $25 as I feel that even this one week of being registered is well worth that!

Thanks all.