Is text in photos boring?

Susan, I like text in photos sometimes. It all depends on what the photographer is aiming to achieve. There's a picture I took of some people, a building and a bit of land with trees ripped down. If it wasn't for the text on banners being held by the people then nobody would have any way of knowing that the trees had been illegally ripped down by a property developing firm. And some text in pictures is just plain funny. Things that people say about other people's work are just their own personal opinions, and by no means can their opinions be taken as represenatitive of the concensus of the rest of the people who will see the picture.

A peril of being a newbie is to take forum comments too seriously. Especially one sentence ones that concern subjective opinions such as certain types of photos being boring. Each image should be viewed on its individual merit, not arbitrary criteria like whether there is a cat in it, if it taken inside a car or contains some sort of writing.

John Hennneberger wrote: "Each image should be viewed on its individual merit, not arbitrary criteria like whether there is a cat in it, if it taken inside a car or contains some sort of writing."

I agree with you, that words like "boring" are misleading, but the question is nevertheless interessting. It concerns different ideas of visual perception and processing of information. Photography is a visual art and therefore may underlie different rules of processing (e.g. it may have a bigger emotional impact) than they way we perceive written speach, which is far more abstract and demands knowledge of the language.

On the other hand text in photos can add meaning or, more interessting for me, can puzzle and amuse the viewer (see my example of Michels photo) in bringing together diverging meanings.

Stefan

P.S. Sorry for spelling Mr. Michels name wrong. Duane Michels is a well known photo artist since the 60ies.