Hello, I just tried, to try out Lightroom 1.1. I encountered a problem

importing my RAW images, the only thing that appears in the menu is file/New

catalog. Or /import from disc. Thing is that my images are already imported on

my hard drive.

What am I missing? In adobe?s homepage there are some video tutorials, but they

are not updated, can anyone guide me through?<div>00Lorm-37387884.JPG.31f873431c26d8f14858a2b4fc941bab.JPG</div>

Click on "Import" (lower right corner) in the library module then navigate to your folder of images and select ok. You then get the choice to copy the files into the main Lightroom library or reference them in place, as you alread have them on your disk select the latter. Otherwise you will end up with two copies.

Hope that helps.

As Patrick said, use the Import button.

Moving the files to the hard drive is different from importing them into Lightroom,

although if you're reading them off the storage card the two operations can be combined.

Lightroom is built on a database, so it doesn't "open" the files in the sense that Photoshop

does, it imports the file information into its database and builds thumbnail, standard and

1:1 previews of it. For similar reasons, there is no "save" or "save as" function ... all edits to

metadata or image adjustments are automatically recorded in the database. When you

want to use an external editor or publish a file to the web, you render it to a finished

image file using either the "Edit in ..." or Export functions.

When importing, LR gives you the option of reading the files in place where you've put

them, moving them into a designated location, or copying them into a designated location.

It can also convert them to DNG on the fly and back them up via copy to a secondary

storage location as well.

None of this has changed between Lightroom 1.0 and 1.1, the available tutorial videos are

all perfectly useful. What has changed, feature enhancements, is available in the latest

add-on video tutorial from Luminous Landscape to their master set of tutorial videos. It's

well worth the $15 for their complete tutorial set.

Godfrey

Hadn't realized that I was working on a "preview". What makes sense now is, that a few hours ago Lightroom shut down as I was working on some images, the pc rebooted, when i opened Lightroom again the changes I had made, remained, thanks to the database I now realize. What a great software.

Thanks Godfrey and Mark.

Ah, I see what you're saying Mark. I press the Import button so that has remained the same ...

If you have a card in the reader, it will ask if you want to import from the reader or from the

drive. That hasn't changed between 1.0 and 1.1.

Godfrey