Request to Purchase Digital File

Hi,

I've gotten a request to purchase a high quality digital file of one of my

photos from a woman who's getting married and wants to use it as her wedding

stamp...not sure what that really means, but...

She saw this photo in my betterphoto.com gallery. I don't really know how to

handle this as in what to charge....Any advice would be great!

Thanks,

Janet

She may be referring to 'photo stamps' available at <a href="http://photo.stamps.com">http://photo.stamps.com</a>.

<p>

You could confirm that with her and if that's the case you could make arrangements for her to do it through you (with the appropriate mark-up on your part of course).

<p>I did it for someone who wanted them for invitations for a birthday party and they came out pretty good.

Ponder that once a customer has "paid for their photo" they will bring it to a print shop' email/ftp to a printer on the internet and want reprints. Most will consider they bought the image for any reason; and they "own it". Thus we as a print shop get a testy mad customer if we doubt what can be done with the image; shot by their "Uncle Bob". The general public can crop out watermarks; burn a new CD/DVD; change file names; strip off the header info. Its very rare that a print shop really gets any real info or boilerplate on grey area images.

I agree with Dick, she's probably talking about photo.stamps.com. If so, it doesn't have to be a large, high-quality file to order stamps from them. If she tried to order reprints from the file, I'm not sure that she's be happy with the quality.

Joel Berry

Thanks so much for your answers! That photo stamp site is cool! :- ) I emailed her and asked if that was what she wanted to use it for and said I could do it for her and have the stamps sent to her. That way, I wouldn't be giving her access to my file....

So, what would you all charge for the use of your photo in this case?

Janet

• 3 weeks later...
I would say yes in a way, a few hundred dollars for rights to use the photo would be fair. besides the fact that you can use this as a chance to get your name out and plug for more work. i would still get all this in writing, however like before if you do it yourself youll have all the control.