Triggering Flash at weddings

jeffc1

I know double posting on p.net is "ta-boo", but I need to obtain info

immediately. I did ask this question in the Canon EOS forum, because I didn't

know which forum to ask, but I have found that the responses within this forum

come back faster and I usually get more responses here. I have another wedding

this Saturday and I have to order equipment today to have before then.

I made a post last week regarding an ST-E2 transmitter that just died on me. I

had also experienced mis-firing of the flash with the ST-E2 also. The ST-E2 is

now back with Canon for repair/replacement, and chances are, I am not going to

have it back in time.

I have decided to go with a radio transmitter instead, as long as it will work

with my equipment. I am looking at the Pocket Wizard Plus II. I am not sure how

it works, if I need cables or if everything is totally wireless.

I shoot with a 5D & 30D, and use the 550EX flash (2) off camera. If ayone knows

if this will work, and or what all I need for this to work, I would greatly

appreciate it! Jeff

The Pocketwizard Plus II system is very good. You'll need one transceiver for each light and one for the camera. For the camera , just put the transmitter in the camera hot shoe. For each of the lights you'll need a PW-MHSF1 Miniphone to Hot Shoe Female adapter cable --

http://www.paramountcords.com/proddetail.asp?prod=pw-mhsf1

You could use a conventional optical or infra-red slave but then you run the risk of other guests flashes either firing your flash or blinding it.

And this will be a manual flash mode only solution -- no e-TTL control like you have with the ST-E2.

To answer your other qestion: does this system work? yes it does and very reliably.

I'd just go with 1 receiver. It's a lot cheaper to tell guests not to use flash when you're working. In fact, it's free as opposed to another hundreds of dollars. The optical slave is fine for triggering additional lights.

I would rather not have other guest triggering my flash with their camera/flash, so I don't think the infra-red would work well for me.

Is it difficult to use manual flash mode only since there would be no E-TTL? I also have a new 580EX that I just had delivered 2 weeks ago, and I noticed that it has what I belive to be a sync plug? Would that work with the Pocket Wizard and still have E-TTL?

The only brand making flash-equipments able as to radio communicate, as to keep E-TTL metering, is Q-Flash:

http://www.qtm.com/QFlash/?res_set=yes&res=1280&resh=800

You can not yet arrange an E-TTL multiplte set-up by mixing wireless radio-Qflashes with Canon Speedlites. Quantum works out a rather expensive investment, but if You often shoot weddings, this solution also could be worth.

<I>"So basically I just adjust the flash output manually from each of the flash I am using..."</I>

<P>

You have to meter and reset your flash output for every shot you take at a different distance. So, when getting the bride coming down the aisle you can only shoot at one distance unless you figure out how to adjust your aperture with your focus. Most people using manual flash at weddings memorize a few set distances and the appropriate aperture and power settings to use for each. But changing ISO will also force you to again make changes to your aperture, and the whole system makes decisions for you about your aperture that you may not always like artistically.

<P>

However, since your new 580EX is evidently version II (has a PC connector) it also has an auto flash sensor. You can turn your $400 new Canon Speedlite into an old style $100 auto flash unit at he flick of a button. With that you can connect your radio slave and still have automatic metering - sort of. You still have to set the ISO on the flash (unless using a 1DmkIII), choose an auto aperture range, set that aperture on the lens and pick an appropriate shutter speed for the camera you are using.

<P>

Auto flash can be used pretty easily at a wedding with some practice, but manual flash takes a lot of practice to get right, or taking the time to meter each flash exposure (using an incident flash meter) before shooting. Personally, I don't think that is a good idea unless you are planning on shooting real slow.