How often do you calibrate your LCD monitor?

Hi all,

I have finally managed to acquire all the components of my digtal

darkroom...slr, lens, epson r2400, 24" samsung 244t, Intel Mac.

Now the last step before i start getting productive is to calibrate the monitor

and the EyeOne Display 2 is highly recommended on here, but i somehow hesitate

to shell out almost $200 for a tool that i may use maybe 2 times. I called

around in the san francisco y area to see if any of the shops rent it out and

none do (software installation being a no-no).

Any advise other than to suck it up and shell out the $? maybe i'll post to

craigslist and ask if anyone wants to share the love...

Sridhar

If you havea CRT monitor (I have a laCie ElectronBlue 22" CRT) you do need one, though I'm not aware that the calibration drifts that much over time. The manual says every two weeks, but I'm a hobbyist and the best Iprobably manage is every two or three months.

I'd be curious how often people calibrate their CRTs. (Any CRT owners out there? Any? Hello? This mic on?)

I got a Sony 21" Trinitron CRT monitor and calibrate it every month. I don't see any shifts in between calibrations, but my adjustments change a tiny bit every time I calibrate.

Most LCD monitors are more stable than most CRT's so theoretically you don't need to calibrate them that often, but when I switch over to an LCD I'll just continue to calibrate it every month.

• 2 months later...

I actually calibrate by eye, and print a test print of something that I have printed before and

know well. I know that no monitor is really acurate as to what the print will look like. You

have to get used to the difference between what you see and what you get. I'm not printing

batches, but single print (maybe two or three copies) and in large sizes with my 4800. So far

so good.

• 3 years later...
<p>I used to calibrate by eye, and must say, am glad I finally bit the bullet and bought the monitor calibration hardware and software. That, with softproofing, finally brings very close matches between my prints and my monitor. If I had the chance to go back in time and do things differently, I would have purchased the monitor calibration hardware and software sooner.</p>