limited edition prints

I'd say that it does. It might be ok if the buyer is aware, at the time of the sale, of additional

print editions, made from his/her hand made print. It's not something I would do to images

that have already been sold, but for new prints, just inform the buyer, on the certificate of

authenticity, that there are other editions in print. Many states in the U.S. have laws

governing the sale of limited edition prints, and have certain requirements that need to be

stated on a certificate of authenticty, and signed by the artist.

It might be a good idea to check with a lawyer.

Peter

Yes. I would say that it is unethical to offer an open edition print in any medium

considered a "fine" print (as opposed to a lithograph or poster) of an image that is

otherwise offered as a limited edition. Making digital fine prints outside the edition isn't

fair to print buyers who purchased hand made limited edition with the understanding that

the single edition of prints would be all that are ever made.

As Peter pointed out, if you inform all potential buyers about your limited/open edition

structure in advance then there may not be a problem doing what you propose. However, a

lot will depend on what your goals are for your work. If you hope to have them accepted

by high-end art galleries someday, then I wouldn't make open edition prints at all. If your

priority is simply to maximize print sales, then you might consider it.

• 5 months later...

In many cases, no. But check your states laws on limited editions. A local gallery may be able to tell you where to look for the info.

Paper and canvas are different mediums.

You can have a limited edition on one surface/size and another limited edition/size on another surface and in many cases one will not effect the validity of the limited edition aspect of the other.